Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cheapest woodenware  (Read 48891 times)

Offline Satch

• House Bee
  • Grandpa and Brandon in the hives
Cheapest woodenware
« on: August 14, 2012, 12:59:34 pm »
Where are some places besides the big namebrand suppliers that you use for woodenware, comb,  etc.

Getting ready to order from hivebodies.com for some deep and medium supers.

Just seeing what others used.

Offline loumaro

• New Bee
Re: Cheapest woodenware
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 01:38:35 pm »
Look on E-BAY

There an amish outfit that sels the whole hive for $240. FREE SHIPPING
Looks like a good deal to me.
Louie

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:42:26 pm »

Mann Lake Ltd.
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/

FREE SHIPPING - Free shipping applies to most orders placed from this catalog over $100 sent standard ground service within the lower 48 states.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 05:32:47 pm »
Humble Abodes

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 07:34:31 pm »
Humble Abodes

If you live in New England

http://humbleabodesinc.com/

S&H may kill you from Windson,Maine

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Diogenes

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:00:21 pm »
Depending on shipping, these guys might be worth a look in your area. http://www.westernbee.com/Western Bee Supply

I buy budget woodenware from Mann Lake and the bees haven't filed any complaints about the looks yet.

8-)
"Inflation is the one form of taxation that can be imposed without legislation." - Milton Friedman

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 11:32:06 pm »
When I consider time of assembly, painting and annual upkeep my preferred option is Rossman's cypress. I can glue and screw email and put them in the yard. No paint, no maintenance and I get years of service out of them. Shipping is moot since Fred has a truck at both the spring and fall GBA meetings or I can always do a pick up.
I can beat his prices though even buying my own cypress if I don't factor in my time but it's a wash if I do.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 04:20:35 pm »
Drive around town just before garbage pick up.  Take all the old drawers out of any cabinets you find and use them for boxes.

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 09:51:08 pm »
PRICE AND SHIPPING MANN LAKE IS MINE.   FREE SHIPPING OVER $100 ....DO THE MATH!!!

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 11:44:08 am »
My garage is where everything besides frames comes from.  I can build a deep for around $3-4 or so. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 01:31:49 pm »
I build everything myself including the frames.
I buy the foundation.
I build hives from Pine, cypress, cedar, red and white oak
I build Nucs, 8 and 10 frame Langstroth hives, and a kenyan top bar hive.
Gives this ole man something to do.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline tedlemay

• House Bee
  • When You Get Where Your Going That's Where You Are
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 11:23:27 pm »
I have learned to stick with the main companies. Lot less headache!

Offline greg755

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 05:39:43 pm »
I try to buy as much as I can at one time so I can barter on the price.
If you dont mind assembeling them yourself then you can buy them by the pallet and save some bucks.  I have done this with friends as well, we get together and buy 5-6 grand worth at a time and save a lot of money...
If you can go to a dealer the next state over to avoid sales tax...

This year after reading a post here about a new box jig I am thinking on making them myself... 

Offline ralittlefield

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 01:44:24 pm »
It takes a minimum of woodworking skills to make serviceable hives.  If you have the time and a little equipment, that is the cheapest way to go.
Ralph Littlefield

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 10:03:05 pm »
http://www.htkbeesupply.com/.  Quality and price can't be beat.

Offline Santa Caras

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 04:46:02 pm »
ummmm..spent $15 for a book of plans for beekeeping equip on Amazon. $20 worth of wood- $12 on mesh- $8 on alum flashing. 15/20/12/8=$55 total and I've built two complete hives from bottom to the telescoping top. for another $20 in wood, i can build two more hives. So 4 complete hives with 1 deep and 1 med each comes out to like $20 each basically. Just cant get cheaper than that. It does help to have a table saw, drill,  router and a few bits in your inventory handy.

Moots

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 04:56:35 pm »
ummmm..spent $15 for a book of plans for beekeeping equip on Amazon. $20 worth of wood- $12 on mesh- $8 on alum flashing. 15/20/12/8=$55 total and I've built two complete hives from bottom to the telescoping top. for another $20 in wood, i can build two more hives. So 4 complete hives with 1 deep and 1 med each comes out to like $20 each basically. Just cant get cheaper than that. It does help to have a table saw, drill,  router and a few bits in your inventory handy.

"4 complete hives with 1 deep and 1 med each"...Not sure I would consider 1 deep and 1 med a "complete hive".  :)  Then there's also the expense of frames and foundation....

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 09:01:40 pm »
Just got a quote on shipping from western bee so that I can compare it to Mann Lakes Prices.

WesternBee:

WW629 6 1/4 Budget Frame
SELECT FRAME TYPE: WEDGE TOP BAR/SOLID BOTTOM BAR-WAX FOUNDATION   $0.50 x 300    $150.00

WW619 6 5/8 Supers - Budget
SELECT 8 OR 10 FRAME: STANDARD 10-FRAME (DEFAULT CHOICE)                $5.50 x 50    $275.00

Shipping                                                                                                                      Shipping       $120.00
                                                                                                                                      total        $ 545.00

Mann Lake:

WW-607_b  6 5/8" (16.83 cm) Unassembled Medium Super (Illinois) Budget 10 Frame - Bulk       $7.70        50                        $385.00

FR-832 6 1/4" Unassembled Select Frames - Groove Top  - Case of 100                                     $77.00          3                        $231.00
                                                                                                                                                                            No Shipping Cost
                                                                                                                                                                                 Total: $616.00

So it looks like, to my zip code at least, that even with added shipping western bee beats mannlakes price.

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 01:56:35 am »
Hands down mannlake most times is my best option and at times free shipping. They don't charge your card till they ship so they can find the cheapest shipper. And when the shipping is free I always order extra stuff lol

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 12:04:13 am »

OK, so its been a couple months since last post.. i couldnt help but chime in....

Once set up... it costs me about five dollars per box, eight dollars with frames to make my own...
   I have a jig for the boxes.. I drop the parts in, glue and nail.. start to finish on a box is about ten minutes from raw board to box..  I usually cut enough pieces to make a dozen, then go to nailing and gluing.  Router the handholds, paint, and drop the frames in.  Once you have done a couple, you get the system down pretty fast. I have nearly thirty hives sitting ready to go just from puttering and tinkering the last two weeks.. I have to slow down or I'll run myself out of things to do when its -20 outside..
   I make and use all mediums, and make my own foundationless frames, and rub wax on them.. the difference at 30 hives is 6000+ dollars commercially, and around 1200 doing it myself.
   I understand everyone doesnt have the tools, or the time... time being the limiting factor.. if you have time but no tools.. imagine how well 5 grand could set you up???
   Then again.. if you only plan to maintain four or five hives I can understand why it wouldnt pay...  but surely you know someone who enjoys making sawdust??
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.