Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New to Beekeeping  (Read 4471 times)

Offline Bheckel169

• New Bee
New to Beekeeping
« on: November 02, 2010, 04:52:50 pm »
Just wanted to say hello.  I'm in western North Carolina and I moved here 3 years ago from the frozen climes of northern Utah.  I discovered "real' honey while enjoying farmer's markets and couldn't believe the difference.  Having followed up with some research I developed a real interest in beekeeping not only as a hobby but because I felt I could contribute in a small way to replenishing the bee population and improving the pollination process here.
I'm still learning and have ordered some dvd's, purchased e-books and plan on taking an agricultural extension class soon and hopefully will be prepped enought to start this Spring.
I welcome any suggestions to help me jumpstart my hobby.
Bruce

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Re: New to Beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:04:05 am »
Hello and Welcome!

I'm sure you'll find this forum to be a good place to learn more about bees and beekeeping. Be sure to check out the tutorials on the main Beemaster page ("Backyard Beekeeping Course"). The 'search' function is useful feature: think of a topic or question, do a search and start reading. Instant answers.

I also encourage you to join a local bee club. Clubs are great for finding mentors and getting connected to nearby beekeepers. Much of beekeeping is location-specific, so the local beeks can help you with what practices work best in your area. Along those lines, please post your location in your profile... it'll help us answer any questions you have if we know where you are.

List of North Carolina bee clubs:
http://www.ncbeekeepers.org/chapters.htm

Lastly, here are a couple of links I often recommend for those just starting out:
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm  -  beekeeping naturally

http://www.basicbeekeeping.blogspot.com/  - over 80 online beekeeping lessons

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 11:02:36 am »
Ditto on finding a local club and the above sites. Below are a couple more of my favorites.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 12:28:23 pm »
Bruce, welcome to our forum, great you found us.  As you delve deeper and deeper into the studying of the honeybee, you will realize that you will be held deeply under their spell, they have that way about them.  And as you begin to keep bees, nothing will stand in your way.  Take this winter to study and learn, lean on our forum for advice, learning.  We were all once upon a time a new beekeeper, and asking questions is one good way to learn, never be afraid to ask questions, all questions are important, and all will get answers.  Stick around, we love new members, we love to listen.  Have that most wonderful day, of love, health and peace, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Bheckel169

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:07:44 pm »
Nucs or packages to start out?  Advantages and disadvantages to each?
I'm a sponge.
Bruce

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:37:59 pm »
Nucs are quicker and easier.   Packages are cheaper (and they come to you in the mail).   Do you have any equipment yet?

Offline Bheckel169

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 03:38:50 pm »
No equipment yet, but working on it.  I will have that set up before I pickup the nucs or packages.  Some concern about nucs from what I read is that because there are fewer numbers of bees to start with, robbers may tend to damage the nuc before it gets up to full strength.
Bruce

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 04:25:35 pm »
Packages start with less bees than a nuc.  A nuc will not get robbed unless there is a real strong hive close to it.  And you can reduce the entrance down to keep robbing down when close to a strong hive.   On buying equipment, Look to Brushy Mountain in December.  It might just save you some shipping costs.

Offline Bheckel169

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 05:53:51 pm »
Allen,

Everything I read says you'll only get a few thousand bees with a nuc and about 10,000 with a package.  Am I wrong here?
Bruce

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 06:00:42 pm »
Nuc will have drawn comb with brood in all stages (new bees to set you weeks ahead).   A package on all new wquipment will have to draw out the wax first, then start on raising young.   

Offline Bheckel169

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 01:02:01 am »
Allen,

I understand that the nuc will have drawn comb, some honey and pollen but only a few thousand bees compared to a package of 10,000 or so.  My concern was the actual number of bees in a nuc and whether their numbers would be able to defend themselves.
Bruce

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 07:45:27 am »
Allen,

I understand that the nuc will have drawn comb, some honey and pollen but only a few thousand bees compared to a package of 10,000 or so.  My concern was the actual number of bees in a nuc and whether their numbers would be able to defend themselves.
Bruce

How big is the nuc 1,2,3,4,5 frame ? deeps or medium ?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Bheckel169

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 09:24:25 am »
Everyone I've talked to so far is saying they will provide a deep with 5 frames.  One with brood, one or two with honey and pollen and the others empty.  Only a couple of thousand bees.  I haven't anyone offer anything different so far.
Bruce

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 10:40:02 am »
Give this guy a call. He's not all that far from you.

Larry Tate
Winston-Salem, NC
Call 336-788-4554 or 336-972-3583
TatesApiaries@yahoo.com

These folks are also within driving distance.

Wright, John & Richard
138 Maggie Dr
Mount Gilead, NC 27306
Home 910-439-1879
Cell 910-975-3355
Nucs and Packages
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bheckel169

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 10:10:20 pm »
Thank you, Iddee,

You and I are going to get along just fine I can tell.  I love it when a plan comes together.  I'll call him tomorrow.  I am one of those that likes to move along pretty fast on a track to get answers.  I very much appreciate your help and your prompt and educational responses.
Bruce

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 07:00:59 am »
       All the one I see sold in New England have  5 frame deeps 1 frame cap brood 1 frame open brood 2 with honey and pollen and the1 empty and about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs.of bees @ about $110.00 - $130.00

http://mvabeepunchers.com/info/why_nucs.php

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:13:03 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything