Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2012 Cutouts : Lessons learned  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
2012 Cutouts : Lessons learned
« on: November 15, 2012, 10:41:05 pm »
Hi all,
Did about a dozen this year. As much as anything just to see how feral nests were being constructed.

-All Vac'ed colonies lost queens, got weak, SHB, lost most. Better results by hand but still lost queens. Best results-capture/cage queen first.
-Expose entire nest before proceeding.
-Get good work area set up, new hive as close as possible, someone to frame the comb as you cut is a godsend. If not just carefully lean comb in corners of plastic bin. Got to find/cage the queen straight away.
-Your emotional state is as important as any other factor in keeping them placid. Strive for calm assertiveness.
-Go thru quickly but smoothly, light, cool smoke as needed, she will run, cut/pull inspect till u get her.
-Cage her w/ a few workers and include her w/ brood comb.
-I don't transfer honeycomb just feed it back to them, or me :)
-I only save 80%brood comb, install and leave for couple days.

Cheers,
Drew
p.s. I built a simple vac. using a soccer ball bag as vac. bag. Ridges in hose will kill B's, smooth inside better.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: 2012 Cutouts : Lessons learned
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 01:25:19 am »
Thanks for the report Drew.  Always nice to get feedback about experiences. 

I caught a bunch of swarms this season, but really try to avoid the cutouts.  It's a lot of work and people around here usually expect to get all that work for free.

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 12:10:34 pm »
Yea I got some of that, I walk away, on several occasions I got a call back the next day  :) My guess is they got a quote from the exterminator that was higher. I really only did the cutouts to study nest location and construction, maybe pick up some decent local genetics. Next year I'll stick to the swarms as well, unless they make me an offer I can't refuse :) Seems like cutout guys in short supply around here, many honeybee removal ads end up being exterminators.
Cheers,
Drew

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:57:01 pm »
I had heard that it was illegal for exterminators to kill honeybees...? Maybe that's on a state basis - I'm in Mass. Then, maybe I heard wrong...

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 06:24:26 pm »
If its not it should be. @ least they should be not advertising on honeybee removal pages. Thankfully I think the word is out that the B's are in trouble and their well being is of concern to most informed and intelligent citizens.
Cheers,
Drew

anything