Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another Hive Beetle Post!  (Read 2527 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Another Hive Beetle Post!
« on: August 07, 2011, 07:25:51 pm »
I don't know where to start. The past two weeks have been brutal fighting the beetles. We see a few beetles all the time but in the last two weeks, I have seen more in one hive that I normally see in all my hives all summer! (I have 50 hives) It's not just my hives but all in the area. It is like we have been invaded. The traps are catching lots but we are loosing the battle with some hives.

Anyone else seeing this sudden invasion of beetles?

Battle weary from the trenches,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Another Hive Beetle Post!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:22:15 pm »
Pulled the last of my honey supers last week.   Doing good seeing one or two beetles in each hive, then on maybe the 4th hive I pop the top and maybe 50 to 100 beetles all together on the inner lid.  So, I ran to go get the torch and smoke everything on the top of that hive.   Real scary.   

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 11:01:43 pm »
Steve, keep those things down your way. So far I am holding my own against them the usual two or three on to inner and maybe a few on the bottom board. Only had one that tried to get out of hand, a cutout. Did a tear down search and destroy mission and nipped it in the bud.
I have come to the conclusion that beetles are in every hive. I see them in every cutout and mine. A few the bees can keep corraled but I'm still skeered of the burgers. I did a cutout a week ago that was one big slime ball. I don't ever want to see that in my boxes.
So far I guess I've been lucky with no  treatment, I treat them like I would moths on steroids. Keep a strong hive and barring that keep them crowded in as small a space that they can defend.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:24:46 pm »
Had a friend procrastinate in pulling his honey, a recipe for danger in shb areas. He lost both his hives to shb this year  :(
John 3:16

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 07:09:30 pm »
July, August and September are the worst months for SHB. It's an annual invasion of the masses. We have them yearround but they're extremely bad now. Need to get your traps replenished and installed by end of June, and keep them full of fresh gunk, whatever you use.

anything