Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beek Offering to Kill Honey Bees!  (Read 3854 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Beek Offering to Kill Honey Bees!
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:18:03 pm »
I was kinda disturbed today to find out that a Beek I used to buy honey from in New Sarpy, La. offered someone I met today to kill honey bees in a tree if they are not able to extract. I am able to get em and all I need is my chain saw to cut a window open to get to em. I am not an exterminator to offer killing that which we as beek's know we need for pollination. It is one thing if they can not be gotten because of an extreme circumstance but killing just because you may be ill equipped to do so is no excuse ! The tree in question is to be cut down and bees have to go but pass experience tells me it could take up to 8 hours and my price is a bit more that this person who has not even looked at it is quoting. I would hope someone could do it for free and money is not the question but responsibility of bee keepers to insure the survival of our pollinators. As you can tell it P OED me pretty good hearing it and knowing what I do about this beek is why I quit buying from her and became one myself. Sorry folks but had to vent.  :-x
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
Re: Beek Offering to Kill Honey Bees!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:39:10 pm »
blanc:  Perhaps I shouldn't admit this, but one of my best allies is a staunch Beekeeper, and also a Pest Control Operator.  We always do our absolute best to save the colony, or at least as many bees as possible, but some times, you just can't save them all.   It always breaks my heart, but when bees have moved into a home ceiling or whatever, and you've spent a few sweltering hours trying to do a cut out and save the colony, you save what you can, but then you have to remember the job you are there to do, which is to get rid of the bees for the customer.   I sure hate to see a tree colony go by the extermination method, but then again, how high up, and how sturdy the branch?   I am ALL for saving the bees...but I don't think any of us would risk life and limb.   Sorry you are distressed, and I truly understand.  Just please, before climbing this tree, take your own value into consideration before taking risks.  Deal?   We can try, but the bottom line is, we can't save them all. 

ps...have a gentle talk with the fellow beek to let them know they may be losing sight of their original goal... ;)

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:27:40 am »
sounds to me you got yo dander up because he wont pay you mo money; you so conserne do it for free if it bothers you. i have never charged for this as at the time i wanted the bees and i live in the country where we still do favors for our neighbors
to bee or not to bee

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:07:10 am »
It really isn't the money as I can be doing other things with my time but the bees are almost at eye level and I refuse to exterminate when they can be gotten and I am a contractor that keeps busy. TO me it is the other beek chasing the money and possibly too lazy to take time to extract.
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:48:46 pm »
To update on my irritation of beek offering to kill bees the owner called and said the beek does not do tree removals and would exterminate for $50 more than she quoted previously. She either did not want to do it knowing someone else was pricing removal or was upping the price knowing what my cost was. I agreed to match price to save the bees and owner was glad to go that route instead of destroying them. I do free jobs for those I know can not pay and any monies made on charged jobs go to equipment purchases so there is no profit in what I do.
Blanc

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 11:04:30 pm »
sounds like it worked out for you  ;)

and the bees.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 11:16:46 pm »
in TX you need your pest control op license to use chemicals..  how is that in LA?

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 11:18:07 pm »
sounds like it worked out for you  ;)

and the bees.....
Not looking forward to my Saturday being consumed with removal but glad to have a new hive coming to the family. Blanc

Offline lazy shooter

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:38:22 pm »
In Texas an individual can buy diazanon, malathion, spectricide and many other chemicals that will kill bees.  Farm and ranch stores sell hundreds of chemicals to their clientele. 

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 12:18:26 am »
I should have added for money onto the end of my statement.. your operating as a pest control service when you offer to kill bees with chemicals for money according to the state.  Not trying to be a junior game warden or start any arguments, but I was curious what the law was in LA..

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/OC/htm/OC.1951.htm

Sec. 1951.056.  BEEKEEPERS. (a) Except as provided by Sections 1951.212 and 1951.457(c), this chapter does not apply to a person acting as a beekeeper, as defined by Section 131.001, Agriculture Code, who:

(1)  is registered with the chief apiary inspector as provided by Subchapter C, Chapter 131, Agriculture Code;

(2)  does not use pesticides or electrical devices other than conventional bee smokers or equipment as defined by Section 131.001, Agriculture Code; and

(3)  collects, removes, or destroys honey bees.

(b)  A person described by Subsection (a) is not considered to be engaged in the business of structural pest control.

Moots

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 12:30:43 pm »
Being in Louisiana, I've heard stories that exterminators are extremely defensive in protecting their business niche.  Last month at our local club meeting one of the members relayed a story about an old lady that had bees in her house, an exterminator had given her a price of something like $300 for removal.  This beek wanted to help her out and for whatever reason had to end up using some bug bombs to kill the bees.  She offered to pay him, but he refused payment.

Later the exterminator called back the old lady and basically fed her a story about maybe wanting to use the beekeeper for some jobs in order to get his name and number from the lady.  The exterminator than reported him to the state.  He advised that had he accepted one penny for doing the job, he would have been in MAJOR trouble, the only thing that saved him was that he hadn't been paid for the service.

I think duck is correct....the problem isn't getting or using the chemicals, the issue is once you start charging for their application.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 10:14:00 am »
i pretty much won't do a removal anymore but when i did i never charged for the service.  i also mad it clear that i wouldn't do any repairs to the damage that occurred when i did the removal.
my experience is that the beekeeper doesn't get called in until after the spray didn't work 7 out of 10 times.  so, you are running a big risk of contaminating your bee yards when you take these bees out.
my rule is don't do the removal if you can't wait a few weeks and see that the colony is still heathy.  i would also advise that you not charge for the removal because you are opening yourself up to a lot of liability for a few dollars and some most likely toxic bees.
just my 2 cents.   

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 05:53:21 pm »
i pretty much won't do a removal anymore but when i did i never charged for the service.  i also mad it clear that i wouldn't do any repairs to the damage that occurred when i did the removal.
my experience is that the beekeeper doesn't get called in until after the spray didn't work 7 out of 10 times.  so, you are running a big risk of contaminating your bee yards when you take these bees out.
my rule is don't do the removal if you can't wait a few weeks and see that the colony is still healthy.  i would also advise that you not charge for the removal because you are opening yourself up to a lot of liability for a few dollars and some most likely toxic bees.
just my 2 cents.   

I have done approx 12 removals since I became a beek beginning of 2012 and only one was sprayed and you can pretty much tell the damage. It was sprayed the prior year and the bees just relocated further up the eve of the shed. The hive was healthy and survived with no problem. It is the first thing I ask and look for when considering doing a removal. I am surprised at how many years some folks put up with bees in their homes before they decide to remove. In most cases they are almost impossible to get to poison in the first place being in the soffit or high up in the eve of a shed or home. I can do repairs if they choose being a contractor so added work to boot if they choose.
Blanc

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 01:38:49 am »
my rule is don't do the removal if you can't wait a few weeks and see that the colony is still healthy.  i would also advise that you not charge for the removal because you are opening yourself up to a lot of liability for a few dollars and some most likely toxic bees.
just my 2 cents. 

I have done approx 12 removals since I became a beek beginning of 2012 and only one was sprayed and you can pretty much tell the damage. It was sprayed the prior year and the bees just relocated further up the eve of the shed. The hive was healthy and survived with no problem. It is the first thing I ask and look for when considering doing a removal. I am surprised at how many years some folks put up with bees in their homes before they decide to remove. In most cases they are almost impossible to get to poison in the first place being in the soffit or high up in the eve of a shed or home. I can do repairs if they choose being a contractor so added work to boot if they choose.
Blanc

wasp and hornet spray will keep killing bees as they enter and leave for weeks and  some of it shoots a strong stream up to about 16 feet so dousing the entrance isn't a problem.  i can do the repairs as well but again you are accepting a lot of potential liability.  very few of the people that sprayed them admitted to it until i pulled the facia off and found thousands of freshly killed bees even though i asked.  chances are if you found bees near a hive that was sprayed before it was this years swarm and not the poisoned bees just moving down a little.  insecticide kills bees it doesn't just bother them a little.  if you're going to do it and you notice a lot of dead bees either in the hive or all around on the ground i wouldn't take any chances on keeping the comb or leaving it anywhere my other bees might have a chance to rob it. if you have a location to set up a quarantine yard that's what i would do if i were determined to do cut outs.  i'm going to pass on most of them though.

anything