Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mean, Mean, Mean, MEAN Bees  (Read 12894 times)

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Mean, Mean, Mean, MEAN Bees
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 12:38:18 am »
Well Finsky I prefer a more non-toxic way of killing them vs. gasoline  .

Not to mention that gas is way too expensive. 2.50 a gallon here.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 01:22:08 am »
Quote from: John G
Wow.  I hope africanized bees never make it as far north as us.  I've heard that they can't survive our winters.

I just saw a program on the Discovery Channel about Africanized honey bees.  They look no different than any other honey bee, but apparently their neural receptors for detecting threats are much more sensitive and their reactions are greatly amplified.  It was a facinating program to watch, but pretty scary in reality.

if african bee's are as bad as a hive i removed with out a queen ( meanest things I ever seen, had thousand of stingers in my suit) i feel sorry for yall
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline bill

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2005, 03:07:18 am »
well for many of us africanized bees are a fact of life. Brazil has learned to live with them and so will we. some of the rules are different, but as we learn to manage them and keep going back to italian queens it will get easier. they still make honey and they still pollinate. they are really a lot more dangerious in a city but they can be managed. we will certainly learn to rely more on protective clothing. and smoke, and forget about working bees with no veil and no gloves, but they are a fact of life for many of us.
billiet

Offline bill

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2005, 03:07:26 am »
well for many of us africanized bees are a fact of life. Brazil has learned to live with them and so will we. some of the rules are different, but as we learn to manage them and keep going back to italian queens it will get easier. they still make honey and they still pollinate. they are really a lot more dangerious in a city but they can be managed. we will certainly learn to rely more on protective clothing. and smoke, and forget about working bees with no veil and no gloves, but they are a fact of life for many of us.
billiet

Offline Barny

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2005, 10:15:17 am »
Very true Bill, at least now I think I know how bad they can get.  Plus I have been all over this county getting swarms or established hives and this is the only one that is even remotely African to me.  So they are here, just not so problematic.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Mean, Mean, Mean, MEAN Bees
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2023, 12:40:07 am »
I enjoy reading some of these old topics. This is one of them. I am updating in case others may appreciate it as well..

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2023, 01:23:38 pm »
Well Finsky I prefer a more non-toxic way of killing them vs. gasoline  .

Not to mention that gas is way too expensive. 2.50 a gallon here.

That's cheap! ;)

We're paying $4.69/gallon right now.    :angry:

Best of luck to you ya'll in TX with the removal, Barny.  Others have chimed in with sound advice.  Thankfully we don't have Africanized bees here in Hawaii at this time, and hopefully never will.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2023, 06:21:05 am »
That was on  June 30, 2005...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2023, 03:21:05 pm »
That was on  June 30, 2005...

I was checking to see if anyone was paying attention....sort of, ha, thanks Michael.  :tongue:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2023, 05:50:55 pm »
Quote from: John G
Wow.  I hope africanized bees never make it as far north as us.  I've heard that they can't survive our winters.

I just saw a program on the Discovery Channel about Africanized honey bees.  They look no different than any other honey bee, but apparently their neural receptors for detecting threats are much more sensitive and their reactions are greatly amplified.  It was a facinating program to watch, but pretty scary in reality.

if african bee's are as bad as a hive i removed with out a queen ( meanest things I ever seen, had thousand of stingers in my suit) i feel sorry for yall

TWT got into some bad bees no matter their genealogy. Any current beekeepers experiences Africanized bees in their locations?

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2023, 11:37:07 pm »
HA<HA I had a hive today took 10 stings from they followed me around like crazy. that was 1 hive out of 38.

Beetles, heat, or maybe they superseded the queen/swarmed. Who knows. STRIKE 1 for them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2023, 12:29:18 am »
I wouldn't like it if they were to follow me around either. Strike 1, yes Sir. 😬

Phillip

anything