Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do with partial filled frames from dead hive....  (Read 1385 times)

Offline josbees

• House Bee
What to do with partial filled frames from dead hive....
« on: February 15, 2009, 04:59:56 pm »
My bees didn't make it this winter so I'm starting over with a NUC.  How should I deal with the frames that are in the hive already?  Obviously I'll get rid of the dead.  I have some pollen, capped honey and brood.  Should I freeze the frames then thaw them out and let the new bees have at 'em?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: What to do with partial filled frames from dead hive....
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 11:53:52 pm »
Freeze the frames of honey to keep them from crystalizing, the empty combs to kill any possible SHB or wax moth infestation, and then thaw them 2-3 days before you want to put them into a hive.  Cold frames will chill the bees.  don't worry about the dead bees etc still in the combs as the bees will clean those out rather quickly.
All that honey and drawn comb will give you package or nuc as much of a boost as 3-4 weeks of solid feeding so they'll be off to a running start.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: What to do with partial filled frames from dead hive....
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 05:13:18 pm »
Josbees.  Ya, I know what you are talking about.  I've got 8 colonies dead, filled to the brim with honey, that is going to be 16 deeps with lots of honey to try and figure out what to do with, whah, whah.  Have a wonderful and most great day and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything