Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Enormous, towering over my husband, Sunflowers  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Enormous, towering over my husband, Sunflowers
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:58:11 am »
We grow some pretty big sunflower plants here.  This is one of my favourite ones that still astounds me when I look at it.  I love the way the Russian sunflowers hang their heads because of the weight.  When I cut down this sunflower today (I will need a pretty good saw, my Swedish saw will work wonders), I am going to weight the remains of the flowerhead.  The birds have taken care of all the seeds, but it will be interesting to see how heavy it really is, seedless.  My husand is 6 foot 2 inches, so you can see, it is pretty tall and the stalk was so thick he couldn't even get his hands around it, it s more like a Sunflower Tree  :roll: :) ;)  Have a wonderful day, greatest in this life.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: Enormous, towering over my husband, Sunflowers
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 12:02:20 pm »
The people at a public garden around me had tons of these growing among several other varieties of sunflower and a good array of other plants. There were tons of goldfinches there too (which are the state bird to NJ and maybe 15 other states.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/mrilovetheants/SunflowerGoldfinch.jpg

With those sunflowers in particular I'm surprised people aren't injured around them. Walking under them I feel like the thing is going to break my neck should it fall. But they seem very sturdy.

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 02:56:22 pm »
Formidable, colossal.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 05:09:54 pm »
Wow,they are huge!!

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:20:50 pm »
Cindi, What sort of steroids are you feeding those sunflowers?
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 12:54:04 am »
Good ol' fashioned composts and manures.  These sunflowers have the strongest root systems imaginable.  If they fall down, and which they certainly do, when the rains come, the entire earth is uprooted with the plant.  No wonder they can stand 15 feet tall.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 10:06:30 am »
would your husbands name be jack--i think those photos remind me of a old fairy tale :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
lets throw it in the air and see which  way it splatters

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 12:38:19 pm »
MrILoveTheAnts.  By the way, beautiful picture of that Goldfinch on the Sunflower, looks so majestic.  You take very nice and interesting pictures, thanks for sharing them with us.  Have a wonderful and great day, Cindi