Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeding a swarm  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
feeding a swarm
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:40:51 am »
On May 1st I caught a swarm and installed in TBH...gave them 1/4 qt honey & 1 Qt sugar water.  It has rained the last 2 days. I have to leave tomorrow for a few wks. Question: If I leave them a qt of honey will they juse it to back fill any comb made..or just consume it? I don't want to leave sugar water since it could spoil if they dont consume it...and I'd have to leave the jar in till I got back. Figure honey wont spoil.

We have elderberry blooming, spiderwort,spanish needle and other flowers. My two hives (langs) have been making comb and storing some honey.

Would I be better off not feeding at all?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: feeding a swarm
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 10:00:35 am »
I've caught 6 or 8 swarms and haven't fed any of them. They are all doing fine.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 11:22:35 am »
Iddee:   thanks...just what I wanted to know. Mine are in a Top Bar Hive and they have to build their own comb. Thought the honey would help but was worried it would create a problem.  Thanks again

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 05:18:41 pm »
Iddee: did your bees go into boxes with foundation or drawn comb? Mine went into an empty TBH

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 06:33:06 pm »
Both. First two, drawn comb. The others foundation.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything