Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will Bees Switch Hives?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Will Bees Switch Hives?
« on: March 21, 2007, 07:34:34 pm »
I popped the top on my rescue hive and it's dead.  It's almost empty also.  Just small clump of dead bees and that's it.  The bees in this hive looked different from the bees in the other hive.  Upon examining the other hive, I see some dark bees that look like the ones from the rescue hive. 

I remember someone posting that a hive will welcome workers from anywhere if they are bringing in food?  Things are blooming and just a few days ago, the rescue hive had workers flying. 

Might the bees from one hive have moved to another if they recognized that their hive was in demise?

well, it was a learning experience.  Hive 1 is exploding so I might just do a split.  Another package is on the way and I hope for a swarm or two.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Will Bees Switch Hives?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 08:51:29 pm »
I've often seen workers from a failing hive move next door.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 09:42:26 pm »
You could do a combine. If the weather is warm enough.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 09:56:07 pm »
i probably should have.  it's to late now.  they seemed to be doing well last week when it was warm, but we got really cold at night and today they were in a ball mostly dead. there were a few still alive, but not very.

it was a crap shoot, and if i were more experienced i'd have played the game better i'm sure.  i did learn a lot and next time i'll do better.

thank you for all your help.  without your expertise in wall extractions, i would not have had the info i needed to get as far as i did!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.