Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Took a trip to see Elk in PA yesterday  (Read 6183 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Took a trip to see Elk in PA yesterday
« on: September 26, 2010, 10:35:54 am »
Took a drive up to Elk County to see some of the PA Elk herd yesterday. It was a good day to see them toward evening.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Other pics can be seen here:
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/kwrabbit/Elk%20Viewing%20trip%202010/

There is a lot of reclaimed strip mines in this area that have been returned to the wildlife.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Took a trip to see Elk in PA yesterday
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 02:44:07 pm »
Wow, I didnt know there were Elk in PA. Is this an imported heard?

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 03:32:25 pm »
The herd was reintroduced and managed since the fifties.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 05:31:49 pm »
MMMMMM! Elk meatballs in a pineapple broth...to die for!

Scott

P.S. Ken, looks like Josh is growin' up on ya!
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 06:48:26 pm »
Sounds tasty Scott!
Yeah,the young lad is growing up on me. Not sure where the little tyke went,but just hope he heads the right way as time goes on!!!
I'm glad I get to take some of these day trips as a family.Memories for sure!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 09:48:20 pm »
Ken, tell him his GF is a real score! And then give him a big fist pound for me :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 12:57:22 am »
I am headed out to Colorado Oct 19th... hope I catch one like that in myncrosshairs!
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 02:13:02 pm »
Check this out it's our Elk viewing area it's about 22 miles from my house. Not near as fancy as Buzzbee/Ken's but when the Elk are in you can see them from your front room. They have more link's just go ogle Dean creek Elk viewing area Oregon.

http://presys.com/l/o/loonlake/deancreek.htm
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 04:01:09 pm »
The herd was reintroduced and managed since the fifties.

That's neat, I didnt realize they had been at it that long. (I read an F&S article sometime in the 90's about moving them east of the mississippi).
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 10:42:32 pm »
Here is a picture of some Elk I took about three years ago in the area of Craig Colorado. Yes all the stuff you see on the hill top are Elk. They were estimating the heard to be around 2500 to 3000.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 06:48:04 am »
Here is a picture of some Elk I took about three years ago in the area of Craig Colorado. Yes all the stuff you see on the hill top are Elk. They were estimating the heard to be around 2500 to 3000.

I wonder how many of the early settlers saw that in the morning and thought "OMG INDIANS!" before realizing it was dinner for the year.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 01:07:08 pm »
Now that is funny!What is sad is this area is a draw area for hunting. The CWD (chronic wasting disease) is so bad up there they need to open it up to more hunters to thin out the heards. The picture I posted was the biggest heard I saw but the smallest heard I saw was still over 50. The deer are just outrageous in that area also. I have lots of photos of the deer. I wish I would have taken photos of the fences the land owners put up to keep the elk and deer out so they dont come in an eat all the food they have for their livestock.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 04:08:05 pm »
But nobody wants an elk that might have CWD.   I have not hunted out there since Unit 15 got CWD.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 05:56:02 pm »
Funny thing today on the Outdoors Channel.   Jim Zumbo's show was on PA elk hunt.   They filmed a man who was one of the luck 70,000 people who put in for a tag for one of the 50 elk tags they gave out.   They found a big bull eating acorns in a heavy hardwood forest.    I thought they just ate grass and aspen bark.   

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 06:01:23 pm »
Maybe the grass isnt greener on the other side of the woods!  :-D Not really sure but maybe the acorns are fatting.

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 10:14:49 pm »
I was in the Smokey Mtns. this week, the elk herd up there is up to 169.  They said all the fawns from this spring survived.  It is an imported herd of course. Most of the herd is in NC near Cherokee.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

anything