Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: This solar charger?  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
This solar charger?
« on: June 17, 2012, 06:19:00 pm »
Parmak Model #DF-SP-LI

i am partial to Parmak.  i have used them over the years and always been happy with the fence chargers.  this will be my first solar.  thought about using the battery powered one i have, but i really need that one for camping.

i remember some past conversations about solar chargers for bee yards and wondered if anyone had settled on a brand/model, and why.

this will be going around the new chicken yard and will run probably 3 strand around a yard about 20 X 30.  yes...i know it's more fence than i need, but better more than not enough and i can always use it elsewhere later if i need to.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: This solar charger?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:58:51 pm »
I got this from Robo about a Yr. ago    

Jim,

I have tried a few over the years and Parmak http://www.parmak.com/  is my brand of choice.  They are very reliable and they have great support.   I have one that has been running 3 years non-stop.   I watch eBay and buy used ones and then ship then to Parmak for repair, It can be a lot cheaper that buying a new one.   Occasionally (once a month or so) there is a guy in Texas that puts up a new one for $125 on eBay.   I've bought one from him for a client and it was perfectly fine.  

As far as fence,  if it is a permanent yard,  I drive T post in the ground and run 3 strands of wire.  For temp yards I use the push in plastic posts with 2 or 3 runs of the string line.   They key is to bait the wire by hanging strips of #8 hardware cloth with peanut butter on the wire.   Without bait,  they will just plow through the fence and be insulated by their fur.   With the bait, they get nailed on the nose or tongue and never come back.    I've had 4 bear in my yard at one time,  and the only hive they got was a nuc I had in my garden that was only protected by 8ft high fencing.  They ripped right through the fence.  I had a trailer with 8 full hives about 10 ft away protected by the temporary electric fence and they never touched them.    They also tore the door off my chicken coop to get at the feed,  and were back every night, until I put a single baited strand of electric wire around the chicken coop, never had a problem since.

I also use the non-solar parmak's and power them with a standard 12V wall wart with no problem.   For the 6v ones I just use a couple dollar voltage regulator.   I also have converted a non-solar unit to solar by putting a $20 car solar panel on top and using a 12V car battery.

I have never had a lightning issue with the parmak's  like I did with most other brands.   I also had bad luck with the Zareba solar units,  if they weren't in direct sunlight for 8 hours a day,  they would not get enough charge to continue working.   I have had the parmak's go weeks with the solar panel covered with snow and still work.

There are some other high end units out there like gallagher that I have no experience with.

This is what I have for a charger

http://www.parmak.com/product_details.php?PId=4

One of the larger queen breeders in New England  told me he likes the 1.5" white ribbon for permanent fence and 0.5" white ribbon for temporary . It seems that the bears are fascinated by the way it flutters in a breeze and touch it with their nose. Won't do that again.If you use wire to increases the visibility of the wries put on fence flag that will move in the breeze.    

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 09:10:55 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:00:44 pm »
I have never used an electric fence so this info is going to be useful, because I was thinking about getting a solar charger too.
Lori

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 08:43:28 pm »
kath, there are fence chargers and then there is parmak. those suckers broke me from just walking up and grabing it to see if it was working. used them for years and only had one fried
to bee or not to bee

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:13:55 pm »
that's what i have always used bud.  just have never had a solar charger so wondered if they made the best of those also.  have been reading the reviews and they are all positive.  ordered mine this AM.  they are a good company and i have always been happy with their stuff.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:53:07 pm »
Kathy,

You won't be disappointed.  I have the older 6V model and the thing has been rock solid for a decade.  I have also turned some standard battery powered ones into solar with these -> http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-solar-battery-charger-68692.html

I'm a Parmak convert for life, been burned by many others over the year.   Parmak is an American company and I have always had great customer service from them.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything