Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc Question  (Read 1875 times)

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
Nuc Question
« on: June 25, 2008, 09:38:16 am »
I started a NUC a few weeks ago by pulling a couple frames of bees from one of my hives.  I was going to add a queen - but had to use it for another one of my established hives.  Anyway - they were able to raise a queen - as I opened it up yesterday and found one in the hive.  However - I didn't see any eggs - so I would assume she is a virgin Queen.

Question - what can I do with this NUC - there is only about a frame of bees.  However they are bringing in nectar and pollen.  Can I shake off some bees from one of my other hives?  and how would I introduce?  I would really like to use this NUC/Hive to start another TBH - is there an easy way to transfer over the bees?  I guess any info you can provide to steer me in the right direction - that way I can use this Queen and have another hive.  Thanks!

Offline sean

• Field Bee
Re: Nuc Question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 10:09:01 am »
you can shake bees off frames from another hive there isnt usually a problem doing that. be careful that you dont have the queen from the other hive on it

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 11:00:34 am »
I boost nucs by adding frames of capped brood.  This would probably work better than shaking in strange bees since you have a virgin queen.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 11:04:27 am »
I boost nucs by adding frames of capped brood.  This would probably work better than shaking in strange bees since you have a virgin queen.

I'm with Rob, you get extra bees, emerging bees to boost the population and nurse bees, its a win win and high acceptance rate from the nuc.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 11:16:26 pm »
Emerging brood is hard to beat as long as they have enough bees to keep it warm.  Emerging brood with the attached bees (and no queen) would probably be the best.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin