Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: electric fence  (Read 7003 times)

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
Re: electric fence
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 08:36:41 pm »
:'( :'( :'(
Does anybody else feel a little sad for Allen’s bear?
 :( :( :(

I love bears (obviously) but if i see one near my bees it becomes a target.
Make Mead!

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 05:02:37 am »
:'( :'( :'(
Does anybody else feel a little sad for Allen’s bear?
 :( :( :(

I love bears (obviously) but if i see one near my bees it becomes a target.

I love bears to , preferable on a plate with gravy made with blueberry flavor  :-D :-P :-D

Offline Adam Foster Collins

• House Bee
  • Sweetness and Light
    • The BeeNut Gallery
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 12:08:46 am »
AllenF.

Gross pics. Is there a story behind that?

Adam
My "Bee-Shirt" designs: The BeeNut Gallery
My Company: Violet Design
My NGO: Threads of Peru

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 06:07:55 am »
What happened to “kinder and gentler”? 

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 12:49:03 pm »
What happened to “kinder and gentler”? 

Well, it was quick...

Allen, I don't remember the original thread you posted that pic on.  Was it a hive situation, or was that bear just messing somewhere he shouldn't have been? 

As for hot wire in general...better a zap on the nose that a bullet in the brain.  It's always sad to put an animal down, especially since we're moving into more and more of their areas.  But you definately wouldn't have wanted THAT thing running around your back yard all the time!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 01:07:46 pm »
AllenF.

Gross pics. Is there a story behind that?

Adam
I received this years ago as a safety notice. The bear broke open a power terminal and bit the hot wire. He just couldn't seem to let go.
I have had a rooster and a guinea hen have their head burned off on the electric wire that I had to install around the hen house after the neighbors dogs dug into it and kill 15 chickens. The dogs dug through 18" deep steal rods that were 2" apart.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 06:28:26 pm »
We lost 4 of 5 colonies this past Spring due to an "old" determined black bear (350 plus Boar).  The warden who finally trapped him after four raids said he had likely done it before, especially since he went right through the electric fence all four times, including the one time I got a shot off. 

I use a solar fencer rated for ten miles and enclose a 12 x 50 ft yard along w/ a 6' wood fence on N/W side

I think a lot depends on the BEAR.  A young will be repelled, an old boar who's been around a bit may not care, after all, he's going to get stung.  What's a little jolt compared to that?  (w/ exception to Allen ;)

The latest Bee Culture has an add for a product called NITEGUARD Solar.  A weather proof solar powered RED light flash that begins at dusk ending at dawn.  Lasts three years for $19.99.  May be worth 20 bucks.  Claims to ward off all kinds of critters, including BEARS. 

See www.niteGuard.com, and no I'm not selling them.  I might buy one though :).

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 07:22:51 pm »
OK, the pics are from some power company guys and the bear dug up the hot underground wires at a junction box.    High voltage got him.   Bears are becoming a big problem living around people.   Here in Georgia they raised the bag limits on bear to 2 a season per hunter.   

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 10:07:49 pm »
 We bought one of these http://www.kencove.com/fence/Mains+Energizers_detail_EK4.php about five years ago and have only needed it once. It worked enough so the bear left some scat before it left. After reading some of these post I wonder if I should have bought something more powerful.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau