Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Working in "Bad" Weather  (Read 2690 times)

Offline beek4018

• House Bee
Working in "Bad" Weather
« on: April 24, 2010, 02:00:05 pm »
I know you are never supposed to open & work your hive when it's raining or windy.

But right now I'm in between.

The hive is really ready for it's second brood super (8 drawn frames and lots of capped brood, etc.).

It rained this morning, but is not now.  It's damp out and humid, but not really wet.  There's rain on the way, and probably tomorrow as well.

They appear to be working normally right now, coming and going as if it were a normal sunny day.

In general should I be more afraid of them swarming for lack of space, or opening the hive and finding them all at home even though it's not actively raining while it's not raining?

Also I just worked them two days ago and would prefer to wait until Monday to crack the lid just to give them a break.

With a clear hour of no active rain and light wind, is it okay to work them, or better to wait?

Thanks.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Working in "Bad" Weather
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 02:31:57 pm »
There's a difference in working them and opening them.

Smoke them SEMI-heavily, wait 45 seconds, lift lid, install super, adjust frames tightly to center, replace lid.

GET OUT OF DODGE.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline beek4018

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 02:45:29 pm »
The problem is I've got to wok them this time.

My bottom super has a giant growing crack and must be replaced, so I'm going to have to transfer all of the brood frames in addition to adding the  second deep.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:43:28 pm »
But you can add the deep this week and the replacement next week or next month. Duct tape works miracles.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 04:58:28 pm »
The guys are in the yard doing cutouts in the rain here at Buds in Macon,ms.The bees haven't complained much. Pretty calm really .

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 05:38:19 pm »
i just hived a swarm between heavy showers, but i agree with iddee; a crack is not an emergency.  do that work when you are not rushed by weather.  pop the new box on now.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 09:05:47 pm »
Iddee "Duct tape works miracles."

And it will last for months, specialy that black Gorilla Tape.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 09:29:46 pm »
Don't replace a box because of a crack.   Those things cost money.   Do in field repair.  Nails, screws,  glue, wood putty, bondo, and lastly tape.  The bees will take care of that crack from the inside, and their glue will hold pretty good.  This winter paint the box and nobody will notice.

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 12:42:19 pm »
Duct tape works miracles.

Nice to hear I'm not the only one that uses duct tape.  :-D

anything