Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Attaching comb to the bottom?  (Read 3521 times)

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
Attaching comb to the bottom?
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:49:01 pm »
I am wondering, so far my top bar hives are of course attaching comb to the top but they are the sides as well. One is getting real close to the bottom, are they going to attach to the bottom as well? On my Langstroth hives, they of course attach on all four sides and then they build on the bottom of the frame to the top of the frame below them. So far, they have not built from the bottom of the bottom most frame to the bottom of the hive but all my Langstroth hives have a screened bottom board.

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
Re: Attaching comb to the bottom?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 12:54:42 am »
I love it when they attach on the top in a topbar hive!  :-D Mine have attached small portions to the sides but never to the bottom. I think they need their "bee space" to maneuver around the hive. In my favorite hive, they have built beautiful combs exactly the shape of the hive, only a tad smaller for their moving-around space.

I have not actually seen inside a Langstroth, but my understanding is that the bees move up and down the frames, therefore not mattering a bit if they attach tops of frames to bottoms of others. In the topbar, their horizontal movement would seem to preclude this.

Isn't this all fascinating?
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:26:26 pm »
I have rarely seen attachments on the bottom.  I have seen at least two combs that I can remember, attached somewhat on the bottom but I wonder if they didn't com loose or sag a bit...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 01:16:53 am »
     I will have to ask the boss in the morning if she was with me at the time.  But, it seems that I learned either in a video or on the tube or read that they will not attach to the BOTTOM of the hive.  The frame yes, the hive floor no.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline nwgabeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 08:41:53 am »
I have at least one bar attached to the bottom, sure is a pain.
One thing I have learned is that bees have a mind of their own. Cross comb is the perfect example.
Why build sideways or at an angle when a nice beekeeper has provided beautiful top bars in a straight row to go by?

nwgabeeman
nwgabeeman

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 04:11:22 pm »
I have at least one bar attached to the bottom, sure is a pain.
One thing I have learned is that bees have a mind of their own. Cross comb is the perfect example.
Why build sideways or at an angle when a nice beekeeper has provided beautiful top bars in a straight row to go by?

nwgabeeman

Somebody once told me "Bees are like teenagers" and it that one statement all my questions were answered  :-D

anything