Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dead hive - Need Answers Please!!  (Read 2986 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Dead hive - Need Answers Please!!
« on: April 16, 2010, 12:02:35 am »

Had a hive swarm out on me March 28 and then fly right back into the hive. I took the opportunity of making 2 splits right away. The splits were doing fine, then we had lots of rain. Got up there finally today to check on them.

One of the splits had absolutely no activity, except for a few bees flying in and out. I opened it up this afternoon and was shocked by what I saw. Frame after frame of capped brood and lots of emerging brood half in and half out of the cells, lots of honey still left, open nectar not yet capped. No bees to be found on the frames.

On the bottom board hundreds and hundreds of dead bees. On the ground in front of the hive, hundreds and hundreds of dead bees.

The hive sitting right next to this hive, seems to be having a problem as well. They also have hundreds of dead bees on the ground, but they are a strong hive and during the day, many bees were orienting in front of the hive. They seem to be throwing out sick bees every now and then. Otherwise, this hive looks very good from the outside.  I need to get inside this hive on the weekend and see what is up.

Any ideas from anyone on what caused this hive to die out????

Thanks Annette

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: Dead hive - Need Answers Please!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:07:57 am »
The first hive sounds like maybe a pesticide kill.  Are they located near any fields that might have been poisoned?  I think it is characteristic of pesticide kills to have hundreds of bees on the ground right outside the hive as well as what you found inside.

Speculating,

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:15:27 am »
Pesticides are a possibility.  I guess I tend towards robbing.  But both could explain it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 12:28:42 am »
 They are on 20 acres with nothing being sprayed, but of course they can go much farther and who knows what they pick up.

If they got robbed out, why is so much honey left in the hive??

I appreciate the answers.
Annette

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:52:12 am »
They were saying on the news a couple of nights ago the same thing is happening across the country.They are trying to find the problem.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 10:08:54 am »
Annette, this is looking more like pesticide poisoning to me, perhaps overhead spraying?

Maybe check with your state/county to see if any spraying was done lately.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 01:09:56 pm »
Hi!  Here in Iowa you can register the fact that you have bees and the state won't spray during bee flying hours within a certain distance of your hives.  They will also inform and (theoretically) prevent private pesticide users that have to apply for spraying permits from doing it as well.  For the future you might want to see if California has a similar program.

Jan
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 08:07:17 pm »
This county doesn't do overhead spraying. I have contacted the Dept of Ag several times to ask questions like this.

These two hives must have gotten into something, somewhere. There are residential neighborhoods within 1/4 mile from my hives. Anything could have happened.

Anyway, hopefully I will not lose anymore. Thanks for all the concerns
Annette

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 09:20:12 pm »
Learned anything more, Annette?
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 09:34:08 pm »
I have to wonder if the neighborhood area that you speak of , possibly had their lawns treated for pest.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 12:11:00 am »
If there was honey, then I'm back to pesticides.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 12:49:45 am »
Yes there was lots of honey left in the hive. Around this neighborhood you don't see to many fancy lawns, but who knows.

Bad news today.  The other hive that was throwing bees out that were sick, well I got into them today to find they were queenless. She probably got poisoned along with the many that died.  There seems to be a good population still left in this hive so I am going to introduce a queen that I will purchase.

Thanks everyone for caring so much.

Annette

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 01:37:37 am »
Annette: That's terrible news. I'm sorry this happened. You put a lot into keeping these girls safe and happy. Hopefully, this will stop and you'll not have any additional losses.  Like the others, I'm guessing that something poisoned the bees. This took place so quickly.  It's a shame.

Regards,
Tucker1
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 09:31:37 am »
Any chance of a neighbor or a stupid kid spraying pesticide on the hives directly?  I hope not but.... :'(
Rick

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 12:29:13 pm »
They are hidden at the top of this knoll away from the eyes of everyone (except my friends who know) on lots of acreage.

I still have 2 good hives left.

Tucker1 thanks for understanding, as I am sure everyone does, how much love and care and energy goes into taking care of these little girls. I admit I was feeling like getting out of  beekeeping after this happened. But we are a tough breed and just keep going.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 12:53:15 pm »
Oh, that is really, really too bad. I am losing my own favorite fighter hive right now, so I know how crappy this feels!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

anything