Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observation Hive?  (Read 9783 times)

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Observation Hive?
« on: March 25, 2005, 01:55:48 pm »
I was triming the finger joints on a couple hive when my brother stopped by.  He observed what I was doing and offered to cut up a grundel of hive parts for me to assemble, by laser.  He says you won't have to rework anything, the holes will be prelased and won't have to be drilled, yada yada yada.  I said sure.... thinking that the pcs he took to measure from were lost and I was out 1 super.  This morning he called to tell me the specs were in the computer, and he would start the first run tomorrow.  Then he told me my hives were going to be really cool because he was running 3/4 inch transparent acrylic!!!  I said thanks, but I think I would end up with bee and wax soup if the sun were to shine on these.
Anyone interested in a 10 frame lang deep observation hive?  Maybe I can get him to make a top and bottom to go with them. and run off a few after all.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 04:10:56 pm »
darn that sounds very cool
I'd be interested
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Observation Hive?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 04:11:12 pm »
Quote from: thegolfpsycho

Anyone interested in a 10 frame lang deep observation hive?  Maybe I can get him to make a top and bottom to go with them. and run off a few after all.

You serious?

I would love to have one,  would make a great demonstration with the 4-Hers.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 05:01:00 pm »
maybe you should start selling these things, lol, you would have to put a warning sign on the side that says to keep them in the shade but it would be very cool, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Observation Hive?
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 07:06:58 pm »
Wish I had a brother with tools like that. :) I'd have him make all sorts of things. The hive does sound pretty cool.

No see-through hive for me though. Not right now anyway. But I'll keep it in mind for if I ever do need one Golf.

Beth

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 07:36:41 pm »
I'll get hold of him tonight and ask him what he was going to gig me for material.  He knows I'm a beekeeper on a budget so hopefully it is reasonable.  I'll also ask him what it would cost to add a migratory type cover.

Offline lively Bee's

• House Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 11:08:51 pm »
Yes I would like more info on this please.

Thank you.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 09:54:37 pm »
Since several of you have expressed interest, my bro is going to make one up and take a couple pics that I'll try to post.  There have been a couple modifications so far.  He is going to use 1/2 inch extruded acrylic instead of the 3/4 inch formed.  (a 4x8 sheet of formed 3/4 is about 150 more expensive)  The joints will be glued instead of lased and threaded. (again much cheaper)  He is going to make a migratory style cover, but you will have to supply a standard bottom.  I hadn't thought about closing it up so any ideas about the entrance I will pass on.  Similarly, I think it should probably have a couple ventilation holes in the lid, cause this thing won't breathe very well.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 11:01:12 pm »
For what it's worth, my bro dropped off the hive body tonight.  Unfortunately, I don't own a digital camera.  He does however.  I'll set up some frames with foundation and put them in, and have him come take a few pics.  Then I will email them to those that have expressed an interest.  I don't think it would take long if he thought he could at least break even on this, but the (bahahahahahahahhaa) R&D has been a while coming.  Sorry.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 03:50:40 pm »
OK.  I have the pics.  My understanding is I need to post them on the web and then link to them??  Or if you guys give me your email addresses, I will send them direct to you.

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 04:24:10 pm »
I think lots of us would love to see the pics, even ones not wanting to buy one.

If you put the pictures on-line (say at www.imagestation.com) then you can post them on here.

If that looks too difficult, you're welcome to email them to me. I can put them in my photo folder online, and post them here for you.

Beth

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 04:26:40 pm »
Thanks Beth.  I need to figure out how to reduce the size of them.  I think they are about 2 megs each.  HUGE.  I think I have a program that will do it if I can find the thing.

Beth.  The email to you sounds easier if your still willing.  You can email me at golfpsychoATcomcast.net if you want to keep your email add of the net.

Okay.  I found out my account has webspace so I posted them with some other stuff

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 06:54:16 pm »
the photobucket has a place to reduce the size. And there is a size limit to any picture I believe, but it reduces it do the maximum allowed size automatically.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2005, 07:58:52 pm »
Ok.  Keep your fingers crossed.  If you can see this and want information let me know

http://home.comcast.net/~golfpsycho/obhive.html

I can't seem to get the pics on here so I'll just leave the link

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 08:01:51 pm »
Wow, that's really cool! I wonder if you keep it outside, if the sun would bother them much or warm it up too much?
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 08:06:25 pm »
I think direct sunlight would raise havoc with them. as they would heat up pretty fast.  The bees like total darkness too, but I used to cover my obs. hive with a colored sheet.  Actually, I was wondering myself it some sort of styrofoam insulation could be formed around it and accomplish both tasks

manowar422

Observation Hive?
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 09:47:19 pm »
I wish I was more experienced, that could be fun to play with 8)  :!:

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 11:42:28 pm »
You say bee like the dark, but there are bees that build right in the branches of trees, not dark.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2005, 11:19:36 am »
That is cool looking! Love to see some bees in it. :)

Beth

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2005, 10:42:34 pm »
Ok... MOST bees appear to prefer a cavity, crevis, box, keg, drum, birdhouse, attic, or abandoned cooler.  Occasionally, a colony will build in the open.  Similarly, you occasionally find two headed snakes, 6 legged frogs, or a beekeeper that isn't argumentative.    bahahahahahaha... ooops

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2005, 11:03:58 pm »
You mean all frogs don't have 8 legs?

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2005, 11:04:48 pm »
Hey..... you think us beekeepers could deal with bees if we weren't a little "bull headed" and bold?

I may raise chickens..... but I ain't no chicken! :) And I get my way here at home. (Most of the time.) LOL

Beth

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
Observation Hive?
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 09:50:13 pm »
What a great brother to have. His work is amazing.
Judy