Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen on the screened bottom board  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Archie

• House Bee
Pollen on the screened bottom board
« on: September 14, 2006, 08:08:42 pm »
Hi,

Yesterday I noticed a couple of dozen pollen plugs on the screened bottom board.  This has happend in only one hive.

any ideas why?

Archie
Honey, Vermont sunshine in a bottle.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:46:59 pm »
When bees switch from brood production to cramming honey into every nook and crany for winter stores they will often dump the excess pollen.  I believe this is what you're seeing.  Sometimes the grass in front of the hives will be painted yellow this time of year if a hive has a lot of pollen.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline TapStoneBees

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 01:17:06 am »
So when this happens,
can you gather and freeze to kill mites and such, and refeed it to the bees with some honey, as a food source later in the season?????

Seems like it is good food gone to waste especially since they worked so very hard to get it make it and store it.

Just me thinkin out loud......
"Do or Do Not.... there is no Try!"

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 01:39:29 am »
I've never tried it.  It seems to me that the pollen might be too contaminated with debre.  But, yes it does sound like a waste.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Archie

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 07:35:46 am »
good morning,
I have two other hives next to the subject. two are russian and one italian.  it was a russian hive the pulled the pollen.  the area these hives are located has acres and acres of goldenrod and corn fields plus numerious other plants.  nearly every bee has pollen when they return.  this particular hive was a mid season split and I did crowd them .  thanks for the info.   :D

archie
Honey, Vermont sunshine in a bottle.

Offline amandrea

• House Bee
Pollen on bottom board
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 06:08:58 pm »
Some times they just drop it. I pulled the try from under my screen board, gathered up the pollen balls and put them in a plastic coffee can lid. Slid this part way into the hive and warched them quickly take it all into the hive.