Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: building material question  (Read 2213 times)

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
building material question
« on: April 06, 2013, 01:26:55 am »
i was wonder if u could build a hive useing pallets? i know some are treated by chemicals and wouldnt use those but what of the heat treated ones?

i cam across some old wooden fences i was thinking of useing to make some TBH. would that be okay?

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
Re: building material question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 09:53:03 am »
A lot of pallets are hardwood and (IMO) be difficult to work with. Pallets would be best used as hive stands, or if tough condition ... campfire wood. :)
They'd have to be 'some serious' top end pallets before I'd consider trying to salvage the wood.

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 12:09:34 am »
I agree, best use for pallets is hive stands.  But hey, try it, see what you think.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 12:21:42 pm »
I've seen people use old fencing to make top bar hives and nucs. A guy on youtube has a few videos showing his hives and nucs made out of them. OutOfaBlueSky is his user name if you want to check some of them out.

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 07:22:35 pm »
I heard that if you can find an old chestnut fence (pre chinese chestnut blight) and resaw the wood is fabulous. I believe some arborist imported the blight and it wiped out the American chestnut, on which the north eastern lumber industry was built. Also heard that American chestnut was more decay resistant than cedar ... so if I could find THAT fence I'd do it too!    :-D

anything