Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My beehives and my neighbors  (Read 7952 times)

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
Re: My beehives and my neighbors
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 12:09:44 pm »
Do you recon they could DNA a bee sting to determind who belongs to the bee? :?
Yes they can!! Yes they have!! they all come from God who placed them in the Bee tree

I hope someone writes a book with that as a title
God and the Bee tree

Tommyt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:29:05 pm by Tommyt »
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 01:21:02 pm »
Personally, I think that was a legitimate question that deserved a decent answer, not a wise crack.

I would like to know just how far down the ladder they could go with dna testing.

Italian from russian?
carniolan fron caucasion?
Individual line of queens?
hive to hive?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 02:52:14 pm »
Im not sure if different strains would carry a different dna signature or not, but as far as beekeeper liability is concerned, I dont think it would be a real far stretch for an attorney to make on a civil suit. It wouldnt be a criminal suit where one would have to have a smoking gun fora conviction. A bee sting civil suit would be held to 'preponderance of the evidence' where dna probably wouldnt even come into play after a picture of the neighbors hives was produced. Let alone some good bearding pics or swarm in the neighbors apple tree. Not a frightful thing to beeks, but to a ticked off neighbor and a retained lawyer,they may speak volumes.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 04:07:42 pm »
Im not sure if different strains would carry a different dna signature or not, but as far as beekeeper liability is concerned, I dont think it would be a real far stretch for an attorney to make on a civil suit. It wouldnt be a criminal suit where one would have to have a smoking gun fora conviction. A bee sting civil suit would be held to 'preponderance of the evidence' where dna probably wouldnt even come into play after a picture of the neighbors hives was produced. Let alone some good bearding pics or swarm in the neighbors apple tree. Not a frightful thing to beeks, but to a ticked off neighbor and a retained lawyer,they may speak volumes.

That's why it's important to meet or exceed local zoning restrictions in your bee yards.  You have to show you've complied with existing ordinances along with  showing you have taken sufficient precautions to reduce exposure to other people.  That's why mine are enclosed within a 5 foot wire fence, signed (beware-Bee Hives), and located at least 50ft from the nearest property line.
Last line of defense is that you are providing a service (pollenation) directed by mother nature and that no one is liable for acts of nature such as getting Struck by lightening, drowning in a flood, falling off a cliff, or getting stung by a bee except the victim.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 04:22:22 pm »
Brain ya know the more you do to make sure people know about them it seems like the more trouble it is.  Teenagers tipping over hives etc.  It seems like as a beekeeper unless your out in the boonies like me your in a lose lose crap shoot.  Especially around here it seems most people are more concerned with trying to kill stuff especially things like snakes and stinging insects then they are with just leaving them alone.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!