Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nubee from Missouri!  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Bees of Providence Hills

• New Bee
Nubee from Missouri!
« on: May 11, 2012, 04:56:25 pm »
Hello from Missouri!  I am a nebee - ordered my first hive and bees back in Feb. Got the hive in the mail in March and got the 3lb of bees with the queen this past Monday.  Spent two hours putting them in the hive and watching them.  Two bees got under my vail but didn't bother me.  Didn't get stung until walking back to the house.  A bee got under my jean pant legs and stung me.  I don't know if I felt more sorry for the bee than for me!

I was concerned about getting the bees too late, but everything has worked out well.  Our Japanese cherry bloomed a month ago, the peach, crab apple, and regular apple tree all bloomed a few weeks ago (we are in north central Missouri) near Dawn.  Our wild plum trees and wild rasberries were early also, if fact, the wild rasberry patch near the house - that I spent several hours last winter cleaning out of buck brush and old canes) frosted just as our wild bees were really working it!  I thought I knew something about trees until I started researching bee pollen and necter plants and trees.  NOW I have found we have black locust as well as too many honey locust, we have bladdernut trees!, and basswood or linden trees on our farm!  I already knew about the oaks and elms.  I am really excited waiting for the linden trees to bloom.  We have persimmon also but some of them must be all male or all female because they don't have persimmons on them.  I see were honey bees like persimmon also.

Our native wild bees were in the blackberry patches last week having a "good time".  I just have one hive but look forward to reading and learning on this forum.  Everyone knows where Dawn is because the Post Master says the sun comes up at Dawn - ha!
A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger! Proverbs 15:1

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Nubee from Missouri!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:56:11 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 06:24:22 pm »
Thank you!  You must be one of the "head drones!".  I have read some of your responses and articles and looking forward to reading more.  My greatgrandfather had a small "truck patch" farm back in the early 1900's in southeast Kansas near Humbolt and had some bees along with danelion wine?  Have always been interested in bees but now finally getting started. 

I am going home now to "smoke" the hive for the first time and see if "my queen" is alive.  (FIRST TIME TO LIGHT MY SMOKER - have watched videos on YouTube so shouldn't be a problem.  I have dried grass and rotten oak wood).  I put the queen in the cage between the frames Monday evening and "am praying!" that she is ok.  She had 3 or 4 attendants with her.  The bees have been taking pollen into the hive and my bee keeping friend said that was a good omen.  Have a nice weekend to all.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 07:23:29 pm »
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your bees.

Joe

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:50:00 pm »
Thanks, Joe, for your kind welcome.  I used to hunt wild turkeys in Mississippi back in the 1970's.

I ran out of time this evening and didn't get to check on my queen to see if she made it out of the cage.  Will check tomorrow.  The new bees are bringing back pollen.Took one of my grandsons on the 4x4 to check on my bee traps.  I have five traps scattered about the farm and in the last two weeks a caught 3 mouse nests and two wasps trying to start  homes!  I have used lemon grass oil, put in a few empty frames, some pheromone I bought on e-bay and NOTHING! 

We have wild bees flying all over the place and I can't catch anything!  Was hoping to catch a wild swarm to compare with the "boughten" bees.  I have talked to several people and there has been alot of bees swarming in the area but "no luck" at our place.  I have been using cardboard boxes put from ground level to 5 ft in the air.  Even built a "homemade" weire box and put it out in a good spot - no luck.

The problem is I think you have to be smarter that the bees - Ha!

Good luck to you this summer and thanks again for the welcome.   

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 09:25:28 am »
Welcome to the site!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 09:44:56 am »
welcome to beemaster forum.

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 11:56:24 am »
Thanks, tefer2, looking forward to learning how to take care of my bees.  Looks like I found the right spot! 

Got my wife some Lavender plants for "Mother's Day" for her flower garden.  She asked if they weren't for the bees instead of her! Well, I tried.  Better get some flowers for her, too! 

Solomon said, "He who finds a wife, finds a GOOD thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." Proverbs 18:22

After all, she IS the QUEEN BEE at our house!  Have a good Mother's Day weekend!

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 12:01:24 pm »
Thanks for the welcome, specialkayme, have a GREAT Mother's Day weekend!