Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Alive and well.  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Rodni73

• House Bee
Alive and well.
« on: February 07, 2010, 07:55:16 pm »
We had a cold snap in North Jersey for the last two weeks. Today at about 12:00 noon I checked my two hives and both are alive.  The bees were all the way up right underneath the top cover. I slightly lifted both hives and were very light in weight.  I wintered them in one deep and two suppers. I suited up and carefully lifted the top.  It was about 43 outside but the temp inside the hive was about 46-47 because of the sun.
I gave each hive about a pound of granulated sugar mixed with little water and honey placed on top of the inner cover. Some bees flew about then flew back. I will repeat this in two weeks if the weather permits to ensure no starvations take place.  Can't wait for march to observe Spring build up. I can't believe my bees are still alive considering the weather and how cold it's been.  Hope your bees are alive and well too.

HONEY  :-D

Offline Creamhorses

• New Bee
Re: Alive and well.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 06:59:23 am »
Checked my 2 hives yesterday....ear to the hive body to the sweet sound of the buzz.  It's been a cold winter overall here in soutern Vermont...lots of '0' nights and few days over 30. A couple nights of 10 below, and a weird day of 60, with heavy rain.  I didn't look to see if there was any activity; it was raining too hard and very windy.       

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 12:52:26 pm »
Mine are all alive as well...however, I didn't want to say much, because I talked to quite a few beeks who said their bees were alive in Jan and Feb last year, but dead by April, so we may not be out of the woods yet.  Mine still seem to have lots of capped honey in the upper boxes, so I'm still not sure if I need to do anything to get them through the rest of the winter.  Good luck!
-Mike

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 02:40:07 pm »
My six hives are still humming along.  Feeding them 2:1 syrup though just to make sure.

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.