Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Feeding, Packaged Bees, Health Concerns  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
First Feeding, Packaged Bees, Health Concerns
« on: March 24, 2008, 12:07:22 pm »

In about 2 weeks I should receive my first package of bees. I'd like to start them off correctly, so I'm planning to feed them sugar syrup, and that's about all.  I have a package of Brood Boost, but I'm having second thoughts about using it. To be frank, I've rather raise them "organically" if possible, but by the same token I don't want them to starve to death waiting for the first nectar flow. I'm not planning to sell the honey (if I get any), so there is not commercial force pushing me either way.

Perhaps the best way to table these questions is to simply ask:

A) Is Brood Boost (Mega bee) considered an organic food suppliment?

B) What are considered "natural suppliments" or " natural health remedies" ?

C) Is there something I should do to "treat' these bees when they first arrive?

Regards,
Tucker

He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: First Feeding, Packaged Bees, Health Concerns
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 04:33:06 pm »
To start them off that is all you need to do, just feed them sugar syrup.

I do not know about the other supplements. I do not feed my bees anything else, other than their own honey.

You will hear more soon from others here.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:31:38 pm »
>A) Is Brood Boost (Mega bee) considered an organic food suppliment?

There are no organic standards, but if you want to keep them healthy even the people who worship scientific studies know that pollen is better for the bees than substitute.  Bees reared on substitute don't live as long and are not as healthy.

>B) What are considered "natural suppliments" or " natural health remedies" ?

If they need pollen, the hard line would be real pollen. Since that's quite expensive and I often run short I sometimes mix it half and half with substitute. But I try never to get below 50% pollen.

As far as remedies, the best remedy is to keep the hives strong and healthy.  The best way to do that, IMO, is natural food as much as possible (honey and pollen) and natural sized or small sized cells.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnaturalcell.htm

>C) Is there something I should do to "treat' these bees when they first arrive?

They were probably treated before they were shipped.  If you like you can dust them with powdered sugar.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 12:01:35 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll just use the water/sugar mixture to help them get started until the weather gets warmer and they can start to collect nectar. The idea of using powdered sugar to dust them sounds like a great idea. Thanks again for the advice.

Regards,
Tucker1
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 12:06:15 pm »
The idea of using powdered sugar to dust them sounds like a great idea.

Most packages are treated before they are shipped.  You should check with your supplier.  If they were, you are just stressing them more with the sugar shake for no reason.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 03:48:14 am »
My bees were treated by the producer prior to shipment.  I just checked a sticky board I had forgotten and left under a hive for 2 weeks--no mites were seen.  I would take that to mean that hive doesn't have a mite infestation.  With the complications of drift if any of my 4 hives had mites I would expect them all to have mites but nada so far.  I'm not saying that won't change this year, just that you should have a window of at least everal months where your bees are mite free.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything