Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 50 frame extractor, whats it worth.  (Read 3581 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
50 frame extractor, whats it worth.
« on: October 15, 2011, 01:53:33 am »
I am able to buy a 50 frame motorized extractor.  Its an old beast.  Its galvanized with a variable speed motor.  I am told I can get it cheap.  He has no price set, said make an offer.

Should I even buy an old galvanized extractor and if it were in GOOD shape, what would you say its worth.  Im not asking what you would pay for it, Im asking what its worth so I can decide what to offer if there are not health risks associated with it.  I still need to take a look at it and make sure it does not contain lead seams.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: 50 frame extractor, whats it worth.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 02:51:16 am »
when was the last time it was used-also what about sump and pump--RDY-B

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 02:56:00 am »
Good points. However, I have not even seen the thing yet.  I would like to have some idea what I should offer before I go there.  I dont want to offer twice what I should.  I dont know if it comes with a pump, if its been used for ten years, etc.  I will try to find out more info and get back to you.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:26:29 pm »
   did you check it out--RDY-B

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:48:30 pm »
its cheap because no one wants it lol, probabaly needs someone too move it.  you will need to etch it then apply epoxy, not good for you honey as it oxidizes

get some camcote from brushy mountain, its a lot of work but might be worth it if you can use it
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 09:25:02 am »
I would not pay more than the scrap yard will offer for it. More work than its worth.
I have an old AI Root beast sitting in the barn retired now. That thing was always needing something done to it each year before use.
I had a few people around that were asking $100.00 for their old galv. extractors and they still have them for sale !

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 04:09:21 pm »
Im in no rush for a big project.  I have learned that it will be a lot of work.  However, I hear the controller is worth some money.  If I do end up buying it, It will cost me a grand to get it painted and epoxied up.  Is it worth it?  Im in no hurry to find out.  I have enough projects to worry about.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 04:41:43 pm »
you can always lowball it.   all they can do is say no.  I got a 30 frame maxant, a 25 gal. water jacketed clarifier. a stainless decapping tank and 3 hot knives to the crazy price of 400.00

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 10:06:18 pm »
you can always lowball it.   all they can do is say no.  I got a 30 frame maxant, a 25 gal. water jacketed clarifier. a stainless decapping tank and 3 hot knives to the crazy price of 400.00

you sir should be in jail :shock: :-D
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 12:09:34 am »
Believe it or not. My uncle used a 20 frame extractor made of Oak. the  only maintance he did to it was after cleaning the tank for storage was to wax the walls with bees wax. it was basicly made like a wiskey barrel.It never leaked. he always said that only nature and glass touched his honey. he used for a good 20 years I think.

anything