Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Portland, OR  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Grapedad

• Brood
Hello from Portland, OR
« on: January 17, 2013, 06:26:45 pm »
Just attended my first class on beekeeping on Tuesday. Boy am I confused. I can't decide to start with a Top Bar Hive or a Warre!  Warre says "The People's Hive" allows next to no interaction with the hive, but what I also heard is that bee keepers want interaction with their bees. I have no way to know which way to go.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello from Portland, OR
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 06:30:41 pm »
IMO, I would tell you to go with a Lang.  Plain and simple easy to work.  You can not have next to no interaction with bees today.  Welcome to the forum.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:18:37 pm »
where in Portland are you?  you can put your location in your profile.  did you take the class at Ruhl?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:53:51 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Grape.  Well will do what we can to keep you that way, just kidding.  There are lots of threads and videos here that can help.  When you have questions just ask the forum, someone can usually give you the answer.  Also, this is a very addictive hobby, good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:36:28 pm »
I would recommend a hive with frames first, it will make it easier to visit and take prolonged looks when you get acquainted with your bees  :bee:

Makes it all a bit easier and then if you still want you could try a top bar hive when you are warmer in your bee suit.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 11:26:02 pm »
Welcome Grapedad, I also suggest a lang to get started. Enjoy your journey.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 09:25:09 am »
Hi Grapedad!   You'll love the forum - very friendly and extremely knowledgeable people here.

I'd start with a hive that uses frames.   It takes a while to get used to dealing with comb and frames are your best friend.   

We had the same type of question when we started and decided to do a horizontal hive [like a top bar] only we use regular frames in it.    The frames have made things much easier.   I love the horizontal hive.

We also have a lang and it's fine, but I can't see all the way through it or get to every frame easily like I can with the horizontal hive.   
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

anything