Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm capturing  (Read 1918 times)

Offline filmmlif

• House Bee
swarm capturing
« on: May 27, 2006, 01:49:05 am »
there is a shop near my home that has an observation hive and they seem eager to swarm; it's over populated and there are 1000's of bees bearding at the entrence to the pvc pipe that leads inside to the hive. plus the 2 frames in the hive are full of capped brood and crowded.
my question; is there something i can set up near the opening so when they swarm i have a chance to woo them into that something and thus capture them?
it will be the second time this year the colony has swarmed.
thnx.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
swarm capturing
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 11:26:46 am »
They are looking for a home about 1/4 mile or more away.  Putting something there may not help much. Putting a bait hive 1/4 mile away might work well.  Bait it with some lemongrass oil.  Put it up in t tree.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesferal.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
swarm capturing
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 03:57:12 pm »
I've had some swarms settle into an empty hive set up in the bee yard, I've had even more move some distance before settling.  Follow Michael's advice, it works the most consistantly.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
swarm capturing
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 04:30:57 pm »
I'm not saying they won't move next door.  Once in a while a swarm moves into my empty equipment (one did in the last few days).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin