Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Bee - Honey jar question  (Read 9993 times)

Offline jester7891

• House Bee
New Bee - Honey jar question
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:37:13 am »
  I'm about to harvest my first honey ever.  Any suggestions on where to buy jars to fill for family and friends etc?   Thanks,   Jester

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
Re: New Bee - Honey jar question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 01:45:39 pm »
Hi Jester:
You can order queen line jars, plastic bears etc from companies online or through catalogues.  Last year I only used queen line jars for contest entries, the rest I used new canning/Mason jars to give to friends and family. 

You can reuse canning jars, but should use new lids.  I do not use old containers like mayonnaise jars, peanut butter/jelly jars etc.. as it detracts from the cleanliness and attractiveness of the honey.  I suppose you could use them for your own personal use, but after the work and the value I place on the honey, I prefer to use the best I can get.

Happy Harvesting,
Derrick
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 09:15:01 pm »
Canning jars at Walmart or Big Lots.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 11:35:55 pm »
Ditto on what Ross said.
Last year I got some pint and quart cases for 6 and 8 $ a case at Big Lots.
doak

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 11:48:16 pm »
Big Lots and Wal Mart carry the "Golden Harvest" line of canning jars.  I like to use these because there is a blank side to the jar (without any raised lettering) where you can put a label.

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 10:25:22 am »
I use to 1# glass Queenline oval jars and the 18 oz. square rounded corner jars w\gold lids.  My customers really like the 1# jars - they're good looking jars with just enough honey for most. The square jars are more fancy for gifts. 

The pint and quart Mason\Ball\Kerr jars are fine just depends on preference.  As Derrick said though: " use the best you can get ".  It makes an impression and you only have one chance for a first inpression.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 10:10:35 pm »
Dollar General, Dollar Store and others.  This is the only time of the year I can get them without paying shipping.  I prefer glass but may eventually start to use plastic, though it won't replace glass.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline robbo

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 08:49:39 am »
Sorry to drag up an old topic, but how do you guys clean the glass before filling, or dont you bother?

Point me in the direction of a thread that covers this kind of thing if it exists - have looked but cant find one

:)

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 09:02:09 am »
dishwasher . . .

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 09:40:21 am »
This year im getting a small steam cleaner for sterilization, per the health inspector. Nothing big just a small steam it and clean it thing.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 10:41:28 am »
I bought 8 dozen used but clean pint Ball jars off Craigs List for $3.00 per dozen and some from Goodwill for about the same price. Twice through the dishwasher, add some new lids and they are as new.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline robbo

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 11:16:04 pm »
Ok, cheers for the replies guys - hmm, how to do without a dishwasher??

Got any piccies of these steam cleaner thingo's??

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 12:43:52 pm »
I could be wrong on this matter, but I never even sterilized my jars at all. Just washed them with hot water and soap and made sure they were bone dry. I didn't think they needed to be sterilized as bacteria cannot survive in honey anyway.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 01:34:32 pm »
I could be wrong on this matter, but I never even sterilized my jars at all. Just washed them with hot water and soap and made sure they were bone dry. I didn't think they needed to be sterilized as bacteria cannot survive in honey anyway.

To you and me that makes sense, but to the department of health, probably not.  I need to find some documentation on this myself.

MustBeNuts...can you post what you are looking at for steam cleaning?  I must be looking under the wrong keyword as all I get is carpet cleaners.

Thanks.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 05:19:07 pm »
Looks more like a pain in the butt anything.   :-\
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 07:33:22 pm »
Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Euroflex-Monster-Super-Soap-Steamer-SC20S_W0QQitemZ120358229552QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120358229552&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Steve

Yup thats what I have been shopping for , i'm sure there better models but as long as its 220 degrees output. Thats all the inpsector asked for. Agian a dishwasher would be fine for you if you have one that reaches 220 when it dries, most probly do. I don't have one either, so the inspector said that steam would be fine, its just so I can pass the inspection on the honey house for a producers licence.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 09:04:07 pm »
Yup thats what I have been shopping for , i'm sure there better models but as long as its 220 degrees output. Thats all the inpsector asked for. Agian a dishwasher would be fine for you if you have one that reaches 220 when it dries, most probly do. I don't have one either, so the inspector said that steam would be fine, its just so I can pass the inspection on the honey house for a producers licence.

So if I understand you correctly, the whole idea is for you to have one on hand, not necessarily required to use it?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 07:39:59 pm »
I pretty much think he would expect it to be used. I do plan on using it, its just a matter of washing the jars and putting a spray inside to make sure its disenfected. 

anything