Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting it in the ground  (Read 13291 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Getting it in the ground
« on: February 25, 2009, 11:05:03 pm »
Today, planted onions, shallots, purple top turnip, Swiss chard, sugar snap peas, and that other thing that has a turnip above the ground.
Got to get some more ground fixed if it doesn't rain too much.
Broke the belt on the Tommy hawk.
Breaking new ground.Ye!Pee! :roll: :)doak

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Getting it in the ground
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 02:22:30 pm »
and that other thing that has a turnip above the ground.
Breaking new ground.Ye!Pee! :roll: :)doak

Doak, now isn't that just ding dang cool!!!  We are yet a couple of months away from that last frost, end of April.  Don't want to set seed to ground until then, those frost heaves are bad things.  Nice that you can work the ground.

Those turnip thingies above the ground most likely are called "kohlrabi" ....silly.....have a beautiful and most wonderfully awesome day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 06:36:05 pm »
Well, It's been snowing here for about three hours. Not really that cold, 32o. and calm. :roll: :)doak

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 10:46:51 pm »
Lucky.  My ground is still frozen aside from 2" of mud over the top.  :roll:  I'm getting impatient.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:36:07 pm »
Hiya Doak!

I've got 2 and a half rows onions that I transplanted a month ago, I've got purple top turnips and kohlrabi and lettuce that have sprouted and are a couple inches in heighth, and I've got sugar snap peas that just started poking up thru the ground last week. I've got swish chard growing that I planted last year, and I've got aspearagus planted 3 years ago sending up shoots. Oh yes, I've also got garlic from planting late last fall doing great.  :)

I'm always glad to hear of other peoples gardening adventures and glad to hear of your plantings. May your harvest be bountiful  :-D

Offline Romahawk

• House Bee
    • http://www.romahawk.com
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 11:09:16 am »
I'm finding it hard to till the two to three feet of snow still on the garden. I hope to see it gone soon though, I've had enough allready.  :-D
Never let your education interfere with your learning" --Samuel Clemens

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 01:32:07 pm »
I'm finding it hard to till the two to three feet of snow still on the garden. I hope to see it gone soon though, I've had enough allready.  :-D

I know doak broke his Tommy Hawk. I hope with that frozen ground, you don't break your Roma Hawk.... :roll:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 03:51:47 pm »
BjornBee, how did you know I broke my Tommy Hawk?
Was chipping limbs last week and broke the belt :shock: :roll:doak :)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 05:39:42 pm »
BjornBee, how did you know I broke my Tommy Hawk?
Was chipping limbs last week and broke the belt :shock: :roll:doak :)

I've got mystical powers that you can only dream about.   :-D

It helps to hack into the private messages and read those private messages you guys send back and forth. And some of those comments about John are really shocking...  :shock:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 09:22:18 pm »
  My  onions, sweet peas and carrots have been up for about 3 weeks now.  'Maters about 2, isn't living Florida great.
           Ducks and runs from the room :-D
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 09:50:42 pm »
I tilled under the remains of my fall turnip, mustard, and rutabaga patch last Friday before the weekend rain and snow. When it dries out, I plan to plant my taters, cabbage, and broccoli. Sweet corn next month.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 10:22:33 pm »
I just tilled this past weekend! Had to! Just bought a brand new tiller, a craftsman 900(or 9000) counter rotating tines! very cool! tilled at the depest level on the first go round! It got even better after I engaged the tines, too!
Ah, but alas....Its done....I got the hernia operation comin up day after tomorrow,(was supposed to be tomorrow but my blood wasnt thick enuff at this mornings blood test)and Im not supposed to do anything for 6 to 8 weeks!...No LIFTING!......So,...I just kinda look at my tilled dirt and think of "What could have been." :'(
 The dirt DOES look good tho! I'll post a pic later!
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 05:56:42 pm »
It helps to hack into the private messages and read those private messages you guys send back and forth. And some of those comments about John are really shocking...  :shock:

Always, "all things nice, sugar and spice", never say anything bad about anyone behind their back, smiling  :evil: 8-)  beautiful day, in our great life, to live, and love it like narry a tomorrow.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 06:20:24 am »
Started tilling today. Bought a brand new Troy Bilt Super Bronco. Made it about 2 hours and it ate the belts. What I did get done looks great though. Closest repair for Troy Bilt is 50 miles away so it looks like I'll just be watching the dirt for awhile too. Anyone else had trouble with Troy Bilt tillers?
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 10:56:44 am »
I have a Pony and haven't had any trouble with it.
I got 60 plant starting cups made up and will soak these today and get them planted in a day or two. :)doak

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 09:16:53 pm »
Got 60 tomato seed in the cups today. Have got to get another 100 or so planted.
Some peppers too, hot and sweet. :)doak

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 09:49:51 pm »
Ohhh, Bob,...
 troybilt bronco...I have one behind my shed.....with the belts both gone!..That sucker jerked me all over the yard! My Bro in law had one too...he finally gave up on it from yanking his back out!
 I wrote to Lowes,...to Troybilt...to BBB...This was definitley false advertising on how you can till with one hand...I mean, sure you can, if its been tilled many times before they filmed it in action!
IF you still have the receipt, I'd definitely take it back to the store, cuz it wont get any easier. On another note tho....It does start and runs really good....I had the NON counter rotating tines with my bronco..I think I paid about 300 bux for it several years ago....I paid twice that much on the tiller I just got recently, but, fortunately, I had a nice tax refund this year.
Good luck bob!

your friend,
john

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 10:03:05 pm »
Wow, I am soooo jealous. I have bad case of cabin fever that only working in the garden will cure but we got a foot of snow dumped on us this past Monday.
2 days before that all the snow that consistently covered our ground had finally melted and we moved around some existing raised garden beds and added several more.
I knew we wouldn't be planting until the beginning of May but it felt good to be able to do something in the yard, then came more snow.
I love living in New England but the winter is a little too long. It would be nice to have more of a growing season, so much to do so little time.
I started some seeds a couple of weeks ago but I am waiting for some tomato seeds I ordered to arrive so I can start those.
I can't believe you guys already have stuff growing outside. I think I am going to make a coldframe this year so I can do some earlier harvests.
I am going to go out tomorrow and do some lasagna gardening though. The snow that has melted is exactly where I needed it to, its in an area that I want to plant a new garden and put in a row of asparagus against the fence.
The rest of the yard is covered in snow but this one area gets alot of sun so this is where the new garden and the bee hives are going to go.
I am going to tear up some cardboard boxes and lay them on the ground and then cover them with compost and chicken and rabbit waste, I will pick up some used coffee grounds from starbucks and add that too. I wish I had saved some leaves last fall to make leaf mold with but I guess I can do that this year and then just till it in to the gardens next spring.
By the time spring rolls around all the grass and any weeds will be gone and I will have some nice new soil to work with.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 10:23:04 pm »
I found out, you have to start with the shallow depth gauge. You cannot go deep in the beginning in hard and/or un tilled ground.
The tine to wheel ratio is 1 to 10 on the pony. Tines running 10 times faster than the wheels.
I do a lot of tilling one handed. I will have my son take a video and I think I can post it.
If the tines hit something solid, I let go of the handles and the tiller will stop with the set up the pony has.

Under stand, I am not taking sides with any one. I have worn out several front tine tillers.
I would not have another after using the the Rear tine deal.

Try adjusting the depth gauge and use it in some ground you know doesn't have roots or rocks.
Put it in the first or second notch and make a couple passes. then move the depth gauge to the third or fourth  notch. I one hand mine most of the time except at the end where I have to turn around. I like to look back and see no foot prints.
Wish every one well on their tilling. :)doak

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 10:24:06 pm »
Started tilling today. Bought a brand new Troy Bilt Super Bronco. Made it about 2 hours and it ate the belts. What I did get done looks great though. Closest repair for Troy Bilt is 50 miles away so it looks like I'll just be watching the dirt for awhile too. Anyone else had trouble with Troy Bilt tillers?

I've had the exact same tiller for about 1 year and haven't had any problem with it, but it isn't nearly as well made as the old troy built that it replaced - stolen.  I must say though that the reverse rotation does work better, and faster than the old one did.

BTW, we've been getting salads out of the cold frame just about every day for 2-3 weeks.  In the last three days I've planted potatoes, peas, lettuce, spinach, carrots, chard, fava beans (good with liver and a nice Chianti), have onions coming up, and over wintered garlic just starting to grow again.  Broccoli, cauliflower, and more salad greens in the green house.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.