Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yet Another Newbie Feeder Question  (Read 8468 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Yet Another Newbie Feeder Question
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 03:28:20 pm »

Inverted jar: Lots of folks still suggest the inverted jar, so I don't know if my whole-jar-leaks scenario is valid or not.  Burr comb can be controlled with crumpled newspaper around the jar (so some info suggests), but when I need to add my second deep super if I'm still feeding I would have had to build a box to surround the jar as I only have the two deeps per hive.  No major ordeal, though; if I go this route I'll probably build the box to start with.

You don't need to worry about them building comb above the inner cover unless they are really, really cramped and at that point you shouldn't be feeding anyway.

Same thing with adding the 2nd super.  If the bottom is full, chances are you shouldn't be feeding anyway.  If you do want to feed to get them to draw out the 2nd deep, then just use smaller jars and a honey super, or a couple honey supers stacked with the big jar.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline RickLR

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 02:52:57 pm »

Thanks, Brian. I do like the look of the Brushy Mountain slatted feeder, and I may opt for it over the plastic with the screened center slot.  Wonder if it's bad to leak?

Rick

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 03:03:39 pm »
I'd build the floats on #8 hardware cloth to insure that even the bees didn't fall in the syrup.  The weight of the hardware cloth would also cause the float to ride a little lower in the syrup making access easier.
Excellent idea Brian.  I'm going to hijack it and modify my Brushy Mountain feeder.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 12:45:22 am »
OK, I have posted a photo of the Mann Lake Feeder with the duct tape around it. It doesn't look pretty, but it keeps the bees on the side of the screen and I do not have any drowned bees.

I like this feeder very much and it works well for when I simply must feed them all at once and a lot.  The only problem I have had with the feeder, and probably would happen with most all feeders, is ants. The ants get in and drown.

I never have a problem with moving this feeder if I have to, because the bees always finish off all the syrup inside it. 

I can remember one time, they left a small amount of syrup left over and I just lifted off the feeder and carried it far way and dumped out the syrup onto the ground.

Here is the photo with the duct tape around it

Good luck with your decision.

Annette

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 03:24:36 am »
"I can remember one time, they left a small amount of syrup left over and I just lifted off the feeder and carried it far way and dumped out the syrup onto the ground."

Very bad Idea in bear country.  Next time you came back your whole apiary could be hone the ground in pieces.  No offense intended, that problem is the only issue I have with Mann Lakes top feeder.  It could be solved with something as simple as one of those hand pump fish tank draining syfone (sorry I cant spell, Im trying to write the word that you use if you were to start sucking gas from a gas tank with a hose) things.

If this link works, Check out this feeder.  I really like the  sound of it.  I would not build it attached to bottom board as described but would make it so It could be removed.  I would also modify it so I could fill it easily.  Its called Minnesota Feeder and Bottom Board.  If link does not work search it in google books.

http://books.google.com/books?id=50FaAAAAIAAJ&dq=chase%20hive&lr=&as_brr=0&pg=PA726#v=onepage&q=chase%20hive&f=false
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 01:25:09 pm »
All that happened was, the bees went over to where I dumped out the sugar syrup and finished it off.

It is like open feeding, which many beekeepers do. I dumped it out far away from the hive, but I knew they would find it anyway.

Not the ideal thing to do as I don't like to start a feeding frenzy anywhere near my bees, but somehow it worked out.

I don't see any photos of the hive you are posting. I am always interested in alternative ways of doing things.

Annette

Offline okbees

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 02:21:20 pm »
I too use the floating raft type of feeder that is offered by Bushy Mountain, and am very happy with the design and ease of use.  I am thinking of putting the wire inside as noted in the above post...sounds like a good idea.
Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
Frank Outlaw