Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The C3 Story (waiting on a movie developement deal, lol)  (Read 5959 times)

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
The C3 Story (waiting on a movie developement deal, lol)
« on: September 11, 2004, 11:35:48 am »
I got to John's about 3:40 about a minute and a half before he got home. The first thing I saw was his "toy". This is no toy, 2 TV's, cable, vcr, dvd, satellite mounted on the roof ready for when he wants to subscribe to a service. Shower big enough for me, Full sized bed, 2 Air conditioning units. And it all looks brand new. I can see why he gets excited about any trip he takes.  You could live in this very comfortably, two adults and a kid or two. He has all the hook ups you'd expect in a top notch trailer park so when he has it parked at home it is 100% functional. In case of power failure he can also use it to power his house!

After noticing the bus right away I saw the hives. I saw that C3 was bearding and loooked like it was getting ready to swarm. John had tol me that C2 had allready done that and was about 70 ft up a tree next door and as a result C2 was the weaker hive.

John gave me the tour of Navy Lakehurst and I was very impressed. It would have been great to see a launch but thats the luck of the draw.
It is a very big facility (to me anyway) and there was a lot of ground to cover. I hope to get back there some day with my camera (which I forgot). The size of the hangers is incredible. The that I remember was about 720 feet long and 250 ft tall those are rough numbers.

Visiting with John was fun, he can talk about any subject and we touched on many. If there is one regret it is that we could have hung out longer, the time flew by. I met Johns wife Tracy and his Mom and they are both very sweet people. John also has a good pizzeria near him. I saw Beemaster central, got to watch John play a little poker (think I gave him some rotten luck with the cards) and in all had a great time. I hope John and I can get together again in the near future.

The ride home with the girls was pretty uneventful save for the drama of seeing which bees would make it clinging to the screened off top of the hive. braving 70 mph wind from the open window.
Here is the first pic I took the morning we are going to inspect and pack the hive.

C3 ready to swarm?

Me holding up a frame

C1+C2-C3
Notice the activity at the entrance of C2. C2 is getting the benefit of stragglers from C3.

C3 in position for crating

John hard at work crating up C3
He really took the lead and there was little for me to do. He's very good with tools.

C3 ready for the trip.

John saying goodbye to C3
Not a good picture of him. He was smiling a instant before. I believe this is the exact moment he is discovered that the screen we used was not sting proof

C3 strapped in and on the way. I noticed these eight bees hanging on for dear life to their hive. I was rooting for them.

Out of the car, on the handtruck ready to be placed. Notice there are still two bees on top of the screen, they hung on during about 6 hours at 70 mph, way to go girls.

The new home

The hive opened. This really doesn't show how many bees were in the air. It was amazing.

A few minutes later

About eight o'clock this morning

Have a drink on me!

I put a little honey in the sugar/water mix
IT"S NOT BEER!

John thank you for C3 and a great time!
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: The C3 Story (waiting on a movie developement deal, lol
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 11:45:18 am »
Quote from: BigRog

I put a little honey in the sugar/water mix
IT"S NOT BEER!

Where did you get the honey?   Feeding honey to your bees that is not your own is a very good way to get foulbrood.  Especially with the contaminated commercial honey these days from overseas,  foulbrood spores may not be the only thing your feeding them.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 12:12:36 pm »
It is labeled as american honey.
And it was boiled with the sugar water.
I'm sure this won't be my last mistake.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 12:22:44 pm »
And just to make them feel at home
I put C3 on a Tuscan milk crate from NJ.
 :lol:

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 12:24:42 pm »
You live and learn,  hopefully things will work out OK.

A lot of people have the misconception that bees prefer honey over nectar or sugar water (artificial nectar).  Honey is just a means for them to store enough food for winter without it spoiling.  Sort of like man drying meats and canning vegetables.

Which do you prefer?  A steak and fresh vegetables or some jerky and canned vegetables.

Good luck with the hive.   Better start planning now for that spring split :D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 12:29:10 pm »
Ah,  isn't it great to experience the "kid on Christmas morning" feeling every so often...........

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 12:38:49 pm »
Hi Rog and Robo......

First Robo, I was gonna mail you separate, but since I'm here - THANK YOU for the great gift, I can say it is nearly gone because me and my diabetic mother (ugh) have been sampling it at varacious levels - lol. The card too, as with all the cards was a gift that I shall always keep. You can ask Rog, I was greatly surprized and very moved by the kind offerings from everyone.

Rog.... I love all the picks, especially the ones at the end where all the bees are inside their home and settled in. It looks like it too VERY LITTLE TIME for them to get use to the move. Great job and I'm glad our crating job made it home okay. Honestly, if I were to move hives again, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't change a thing!

I'm gonna move this to the General section - most people hit that forum and don't scroll to far below there, so I don't want anyone missing these images and posts. I'll leave a shadow here too, but I really want to see this in General where all the gang will see it - it's a great story and it was a lot of fun.

Funny, just minutes before reading your comment about the pizza, I said to my Mom "I wonder how that compared to pizza else where - I thing La Gondola (where we got those pies) is one of the better pizzarias around my area and in all my travels, we haven't found too much better in a thin crust pie.

So great job on the photos, glad to see the bees look comfortable in their new surroundings. I wish you and them the best this first Winter in milder climates. And it's great to see that the SWARM THAT FOUND ME has found their way to a new (and caring) beekeeper. Best of luck Rog!!!!!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 01:05:35 pm »
About the POKER.... I was getting lousy cards, so I only blame you for HALF of my bad luck - lol. Just joking of course, the cards weren't THAT bad  :shock:

I hope to get back at ultimatebet.com again soon with you Rog and ANYONE ELSE wanting to play poker in the FREE ROOMS (just signup - download the free software and start playing) of course I have the need to play the .25c/.50c rooms where the average hand goes off at about $6 to $8 a hand. But if Friends are around, I enjoy the free rooms every bit as much :)

So back to the tables for me, to try and recoup my losses - lol I'll be honest, I put $100 in their online bank account over 3 months ago now and I'm still playing on THAT deposit with over $70 in the account and THREE HUNDRED that I transfered back to my own bank account - so I'm way ahead of the deal :)

Rog... Tracey and Mom also wanted to let you know it was nice meeting you and that IF you were staying longer, they would have liked to have spent more time with you - but they kept in the background, letting you and me get to BS the night away.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 03:30:22 pm »
Quote from: beemaster
Hi Rog and Robo......

First Robo, I was gonna mail you separate, but since I'm here - THANK YOU for the great gift, I can say it is nearly gone because me and my diabetic mother (ugh) have been sampling it at varacious levels - lol.

Glad you enjoyed it.  You and Rog got the last two left. :(

I can't take credit for the card, that was my wife's creation...

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 11:08:48 pm »
I was looking at this post again, which I do from time to time, and I realised that I still have that "kid at christmas" thing going. Moving this hive has been a very interesting event in my life and I don't think that I'll be without a hive from here on out.
Without this site I never would have met all these great encouraging people and I never would have met John who gave me his strongest hive.
Can't say enough about this place, proud to be part of it.
Thank you all
Thank you John
And Robo sorry to not have said something sooner, the comb honey was a real treat!