Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: urban beekeeping and dearth  (Read 2044 times)

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
urban beekeeping and dearth
« on: June 26, 2009, 09:47:55 pm »
Curious about other urban beeks in suburbs/city and your experience with summer dearth. In the Northwest it's usually around mid-July or bit later (obviously depending on weather). I *seem* to experience a more moderated nectar flow throughout the year even during times of dearth due to more variation in plants available. Anyone think I'm nuts? :)
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
Re: urban beekeeping and dearth
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 09:55:05 pm »
Well this is my first year here in the middle of Denver so we will see.  However I bet your right there are allkinds of different plants so there is prolly less of a lapse in the nectar flow I agree with you i will post here in the next few years to tell the difference. :-D
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 12:22:09 am »
Here in the San Juan Islands we have a slight nectar dearth in early to mid August, but for the rest of the season it is fairly steady with peaks when the fruit trees bloom and when the blackberries bloom. 

I thought I was going to get a sampling of some mustard weed honey as the outfit that installed my new septic system ($20 grand) reseeded using weed seed instead of lawn seed.  But my soon chopped in all down mid-bloom with the weed-eater. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 08:00:52 pm »
So far so good and the crepe myrtles are just now blooming.

Offline bens

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 10:00:28 pm »
Pretty steady here, Linden trees just starting to bloom.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 12:03:33 am »
I have two yards. One is in compete dearth. The other is near a small city limits and they are working like crazy. This has proved to be true for the past three years.

I don't know the source but I attribute it to blooms in folks yards. This year it is very dark honey, darker than usual. That could be due to the dry weather and 99 degree temps.

Folks plant things in their yards that are not native to your area bloom. Trees shrubs etc.
John 3:16