Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Olive Eggers  (Read 21323 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Olive Eggers
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 07:11:40 pm »
Are hawks protected? How is it a federal offense? 
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 11:18:46 pm »
All birds of prey are protected, as are many other birds.

Yes, the Migratory Bird Act, as it is known, has made it a federal offense to kill most migratory birds.  It was passed in an effort to help save birds on the Endangered Species list such as the California Condor, Bald Eagle, Whooping Crane, Whistling and Tundra Swans, and the like.  It was felt that making all but the exceptions protected would also help Threatened species rebound, which it has, that's why we have had such a large population of raptors develop over the last decade.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 10:36:03 am »
Yeah, its tough with the predators. Our biggest thread in my area is the hawks.
I lost one of my favorites this summer and I was working right in the yard.
They are very brazen, they swoop right down over your. I had one that swooped over my head, within a few feet and went up to the tree, then did it again and again. He was after my chickens who were free ranging out in the yard, I tried to scare him off but they don't have any fear.

Then just shoot the hawk :evil:
But don't announce your intentions in an open internet forum, because that's a federal offense that can land you bigtime in jail, with heavy fines.  Seriously! 
I believe here in Oregon if something is killing your livestalk you can kill it. I will ask my friend that is a game warden about the hawk thing.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 12:59:06 pm »
Irwin, I would love to hear that answer, ask your friend. There is nothing worse in my mind than watching something swoop down and nab some food from the chickenyard.  I am not so kind a person when it comes to certain things and protecting my own, whatever it shall be.  Have a great day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 01:16:13 pm »
True the Hawks and Owls fly at different times of the day, thats why they can get each other. Owls can see the hawks roosting at night and can take them out. The Hawks see the Owls resting during the day and try to get them. I leared this during my studies to be a falconer. Its the same as you dont fly your hawk in areas where Eagles are known to be because the eagles will go after the hawk especailly when the hawk is sitting on its prey.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 05:36:16 pm »
I read on the byc site that its actually illegal to even scare the hawks, I forget the terminology but its something like harassing the hawks, some lady sprayed a hawk with a garden hose and she was scared she would be in trouble.
I mostly have a bad time here with them as they migrate in November. That month is particularly bad and then they are gone.
But for the few weeks preceding that I see them most every day.
I don't know what there is for owls here, I haven't seen any, thats not to say there couldn't be some, I just don't know. Lots of bats though, they don't seem to bother anyone (except my daughter ;) she don't like them much)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 06:00:48 pm »
You're right, Natalie, it is illegal to harass hawks, or any other bird, for that matter, other than the ones made an exception in the law.  I think starlings, blackbirds and english sparrows (I call them pigs, they're a real PITA!)  As for owls, we had a Great Horned Owl sitting in the tree right over the coop, silhouetted in the sunset, very impressive - thank goodness it went away!!!  I hear Barred Owls and Screech Owls every year (it's just about mating season now for them, so listen closely at night, you'll hear them calling back and forth).

Irwin, there are provisions for capturing and relocating raptors, the use of pole traps is one way, but the permitting process is pretty daunting.  The federal laws apply across the country, so yes, it is illegal to shoot raptors in Oregon.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 06:36:39 pm »
With all the mice I have around here, A few chickens is a small sacrifice.  I prefer the hawks and owls...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 03:00:09 pm »
Here I thought my hawk troubles were over for the winter and yesterday one comes back.
I went into the kitchen to grab a drink and stopped to look out the window at the chickens when I see this huge shadow fly over the snow, I knew from the 6-8 foot wingspan that it was a hawk flying over the yard.
The chickens knew it too and went wild squaking and hiding.
I go out back and sure it enough its perched in a tree.
I stayed out there until it flew away but I know now to be on the lookout for it.
It was a big one, its body was kind of wide and its head was kind of owlish. It appeared to be all gray.
We usually get the redtailed hawks around here but this one was different, either that or it was more mature than the ones I usually see.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 12:09:35 pm »
Wow,

I would love to get my hands some some Marans. My neighbor is an Araucana fellow.  He telles me he has some Marnas as well.  This is what he said about the eggs:

You will virtually never get eggs as dark as she shows.  It takes a double dose of egg paint to get the really dark colors that she shows.  In other words, the egg remains in the egg tract too long and gets painted twice before being laid.

I used to have Bantam Silver Seabrights and White headed Blue Polish...darned things lived for 10 years!

No chickens now, but you all are getting me "in the mood"...My poor DH is going to cringe when he hears I would like a nice coop built, hahaha

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 04:43:52 pm »
I am not sure what you mean when you say not getting eggs "as dark as she shows," if you are referring to the picture of the dark copper marans, you absolutely will get eggs that dark.
That is why they are known as the breed that lays the "chocolate egg".
He may have marans but they could be cuckoo marans, golden cuckoo marans etc. there are several varieties of marans that lay a semi dark egg.
The Black Copper Marans however lay a consistently dark egg with a copper tint to them.
There is a very high standard of egg color acceptable by the marans breeders, there is a color chart and anything lower than a 4 doesn't qualify and everything else should really be a 6 or above.
This is why BCM are so expensive and good quality is hard to get.
The next darkest egg layer in the marans family is usually the Wheaton variety, very pretty birds the eggs are dark but not with the copper tint the Black Coppers give.
I have some cuckoo marans and they lay a decent enough dark egg but nothing like the black coppers lay.
If you do decide to get chickens and I really think you should  :), but I think everyone should own a chicken or two or 50 in their yards, you might want to consider the marans, they will eventually be going down in price when there are enough breeders here in the states.
The demand is high right now, the breed was brought over here from Europe and there isn't that much availability so the breeders are getting top dollar for their eggs but I think in time the prices should drop.
The marans(all varieties) are a hardy breed with a good temperment and customers really like to get those colored eggs.
If you get some green or blue egg layers you will be able to offer customers a rainbow dozen.
See, I already have you selling eggs so you need to build that coop and get your chickens. ;)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 05:19:20 pm »
Natalie, I am also looking @ Maran's & was wondering why the cuckoo were less expensive now I know why.  Am also wanting Welsummers, they are the same price @ Estes as the BMaran.  You are so right, people love the different colored eggs & it makes it fun for me to see them also! Havn't found anyone near me that has them, at "egg layer" prices, I don't plan on nor have any interest in breeding or showing but would like the darker eggs. I did find someone that will butcher the roo's for me.  They will keep the dark meat & I will get the white (no one here will eat dark meat),  That way I can get straight run & just keep the prettiest roo to replace my hens for years to come. One of my EE's lays an olive egg & the other is light turquoise, one is pale pink & the other cream.  Yes Sharon, get hubby to make you a house & get some. They are so fun! Today mine were taking Chelsea's footies out of the laundry basket & playing keep away with each other while I wast TRYING to hang laundry...needless to say they got washed again!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 07:13:48 pm »
Jody, alot of people don't realize there are so many varieties of marans and there is a huge difference between the black coppers and the rest.
Hatcheries aren't even selling the black coppers yet and I will be surprised if they do.
I have never gone through the hatcheries, I order from breeeders. There are alot of breeders on the BYC site and I order the eggs and incubate them.
I actually have some welsummers in my bator right now, I set them yesterday, along with some golden cuckoo marans and ameraucanas.
The welsummer eggs are pretty, not as dark as my BCM eggs but still darker than what most people expect to see and they have very pretty speckles so customers should like them.
I like the variation of all the different patterns of speckles on each one.
I think their eggs are prettier than the Cuckoo Marans.
If you have anyone near you raising black copper marans see if they will let you buy their culls.
Breeders are very particular and will not keep anything that is below standards, but what is below their standards may exceed yours.
I know that I would take most any of these breeders culls. They usually cull because of non conformity to standard, not enough feathering on the shanks, too much copper in the breast, they show any kind of white feathering, all of these traits will get them booted from any breeding program.
BUT, they still may lay the darkest eggs you have ever seen and have the sweetest temperment around.
If you are interested, and you have a bator I can send you some eggs over the summer when my girls are laying and the boys are doing their job.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 09:27:29 pm »
Thanks Natalie, I'll post over there to see.  I already have 16 chix, just want a few more, maybe 25 or so to round out my colors. I'd like more EE's too, they are so comical with their tufts!  Thank you also for the offer of eggs but I don't have a bator.  Not sure if I want one as I would then be hatching all sorts of stuff!  :roll: J

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 11:55:32 pm »
Oh I can't stand it!!!  We haven't even sold or moved yet and I am wanting to raise more chickies here.  I cannot do so and  I must control these impulses.  I have that incubator, just sitting there, waiting for eggs to be placed within, it holds 120 eggs of the chicken size.  But sit it must, guess I can go there in my dreams, smiling.  I have absolutely no clue what is going on with our y future, so I MUST not even think of raising more birds.  If anything, I must downsize considerably and only keep a certain amount, pending this move.  This has made my life constricted in these ways, and it is killing me hearing of the incubating, new birds that I know that people will be getting, raising, and so on, oh dear.....oh well.  When we settle I will be going gung ho and gungbusters on things, eventually and I can't wait!!!  Have that great, most awesome day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 05:21:10 pm »
Day 7 and I candled the eggs in the bator and they all have veining, so far so good.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2009, 07:13:17 pm »
Oh Cindi, you make me laugh! (in that good, understanding, almost laughing at myself way) I so know how you feel, the joy of living things all around you old & new longing for more. they give me energy & life, make me happy & calm.  I don't have a bator or I would be in big big trouble! :roll: Not gonna get one either..nope nope nope!!  I'll have to settle for seeing what colors my pigeons come out as & Rosie's calf!! I do need a few more koi colors though..don't have an all black one yet.. :evil: They spawned last year & I found a baby at the end of fall, bright golden yellow, looked to be a butterfly type it was still there a month or so ago in the shallows.  The bushes are starting to bud out, bees are bringing in pollen & busy little girls going out there.Spring is on it's way!
Natalie, YAYS on the eggs!  Keep us posted & pics for sure when they hatch...that will push Cindi right over the edge!!    J

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 11:53:20 am »
Natalie, YAYS on the eggs!  Keep us posted & pics for sure when they hatch...that will push Cindi right over the edge!!    J

Jody, oh you brat girl!!!

Natalie, how exciting about the veining, so good, yeah!!!  I have to agree though, bring on those pictures when they hatch, we would LOVE to see them, and yes, I'll be right over that deep edge, smiling.  Have an awesome and wonderful day, health.  Cindi

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 05:29:58 pm »
I have been lurking over at BackyardChicken's forum and it might be me but those folks seem mean! Maybe they are just opinionated but there are some pretty inflexible folks over there!

It makes me very grateful for BeeMaster - and the flexibility to have "off topic" and non-bee threads like this one! Plus - I just like you folks!

I figure you will actually be excited when I say my first ever chicks are arriving on March 11th!

Decided on Ameraucana, Barred Rock and Welsummer.

I was tempted by the Marans too but after checking out some websites etc. it seems their temperament can be unpredictable and I can't have that in my suburban yard.

I am so looking forward to raising some chicks and can't wait to see those lovely blue and brown eggs!

I am aware that this was a dangerous venture to start...but can it really be any more addictive than bees!?

- Jess