Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Framing cut out comb  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
Framing cut out comb
« on: July 20, 2008, 02:08:17 pm »
When I get pieces of comb that aren't tall enough to reach top to bottom in a frame, I don't use them.  However, I've seen some pictures from other peoples' cut-outs that show a piece of comb banded in, resting on the bottom bar, with a large gap between the top bar and the top of the comb.  What happens with these?  Do the bees actually build comb upward and attach the comb to the top?  I've never had any luck getting bees to build from the bottom up.

I've also seen pics of frames with starter strips and cut out comb.  Do the starter strips make a difference?  So far, I've found that if the comb reaches the top bar, they will quickly fix it in place and expand to either side.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Framing cut out comb
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 04:58:57 pm »
If the hive is strong and has good resources available, they'll close the gaps.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline purvisgs

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 04:07:39 am »
yes the bees will fill in, hanging DOWN from the existing comb as they would build natural comb or "foundationless" frames...

I have started using cloth strips to tie in comb based upon reading tips from Thomas somewhere online
Bees will eventually chew it out / works good for situation like you describe

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 08:49:17 am »
Rubber bands around the frames work well too.   You can have 4 or 5 around the frame by the end bar and then just slide them over when you add the comb.  I find I'm always at least one hand short when trying to tie stuff into a frame :-P   The bees will chew them off eventually and you will find them on the bottom board.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 11:47:49 am »
My problem is that the chew the rubber bands off before they have secured the smaller pieces in place.  I'm thinking about giving wire a try next time.  Not as easy to manipulate as rubber bands, but I can't imagine they'll be able t chew through it.  ;)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 01:01:27 pm »
Wire works fine,  the only problem you will see is if you put capped brood in it,  you will find dead bees that get trapped behind the wire when they hatch.  Not a big deal in the grand scheme,  but quite the site to see a row of dead bees with their tongues hangin out.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 03:03:16 pm »
Another reason that mediums work nicely...

They will fill the gaps.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 03:08:05 pm »
I agree.  I have started using mediums for cut-outs unless the hive is truly huge.  Medium frames are usually just about perfect for combs that have been built in stud or rafter space.

Still, I often find that the bees have chewed off the rubber bands by the next day.  Maybe I need rubber bands with kevlar.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 05:08:45 pm »
I use regular rubber bands from Staples, and I've never seen bees chew through them in less than two weeks...generally, after a month, I'm cutting half of them out for them. When I strap in those small pieces of comb, they generally fill in the gap above, no problem. They also do a good job of seaming the two chunks together on one frame. You might need some better rubber bands.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC