Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Warre box volume  (Read 4868 times)

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
Warre box volume
« on: November 25, 2010, 07:53:57 pm »
I have not read the book but I wonder just how Abbe Warre come to this size of box. Interior dimensions 300mmX300mmX210mm. Was it volume or size of available lumber (ala Langstroth)? I understand the butt joint for ease of construction for everyman. Just curious since I sat down and did some math and was suprised to find these results.

300mmX300mmX210mm = 11.81inchesX11.81inchesX8.26inches = 11 13/16"X11 13/16"X8 1/4"
This equals 1152 cubic inches.

Now if that isn't easy enough for us yanks that still use inches and feet I played with the numbers and plugged in the standard one foot measurement and adjusted for total volume and came up with this.

12"X12"X8" = 1152 cubic inches

So by using the standard imperial foot and shaving 1/4" or more specifically 0.26" off the bottom I get the exact same result.
Freaky, did he plan it this way or just luck into it. Whatever the case Warres made to this standard in either metric or imperial would almost be totally interchangable with less then an eighth on an inch overhang on the boxes. Go figure.

BTW, I was also inspired by a manufacturer of warres who offers an octaganal hive to look into those numbers as well.
Keeping the same 12" footprint, it was hard enough keeping to numbers I know so I didn't do the metric though I am quite sure I would find similar results. I figured the side boards would measure 4 31/32" long measured on the interior, short of the bevel to short of the bevel for a miter joint. To maintain the same interior volume adjust the height of the box to 8 7/8" for a total volume of 1153.75 cubic inches. If that 1.75 extra cubic inches are a bother removing just 1/64 in height will bring it back into line. If my math is right that is.
Of course I expect to be busted on my math as I usually slept through that class and had to rely on my jobsite homebuilder skills to do the calculations. If I'm wrong please point it out.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:02:36 am by David McLeod »
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Warre box volume
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 04:24:57 am »
The 12" by 12" was based on the typical size of a cluster.  The 8" I imagine was based on lifting the weight...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 09:13:31 am »
The 12 by 12 measurements has to do with secret coding of the end of the world. He spent years studying the Aztecs and Incas, and used the 12 month (December) and 12th year (as in 2012) as the end of the world. His 8 inch deep was actually supposed to be 12 inches, based on the total number of Chrystal skulls known to be in existence at the time. Unknowing to him however, there are actually 12 skulls, making his measurements off.

He further his design by the using the hidden message within the bible, with 12th book, 12th chapter, 8 verse, reading from the old chapter (Upon the end of time, those with insects, will see their hives full of honey once again) This really is interpreted to read (When the end comes, those full of maggots, will rise and be fruity)

Little did he know, that he was really supposed to use the 12 book, 12th chapter, 12 verse, which reads "Ye that drinketh from the earth, ye shall also give back, and hark to others" Interpreted meaning - "Drink your mead, share among friends, and be happy"

This also is directly tied to the DiVinci code and the dollar. The "all seeing eye" as seen on the dollar, is the second letter in the sandscript text, which is of course the letter "B". And we all know that this is the bases for the old saying "The Bees Know".

In later writing, Warre tried to make up for the missing "4" in his design by suggesting that the Warre hive design be modified with a pyramid placed over the hive, which of course would add 4 sides and completing the correct count of 12 x 12 x 12 which we all know is sacred numbers. Warre was of course fooled by his own calculation in his coding by the use of 12x12x8 which equals 1152. Using the alphabet, he took 11 and got K, E is 5, and 2 is B. Using ancient writings and reading right to left, he took the letters using our alphabet and translated that to be BEK. Which everyone knows to the the ancient nomenclature for Beekeeper.

But he also missed using the correct numbers which should be 12x12x12 which equals 1728. Some argue that this date has significant meaning as it is Nostradamus's birthday, and other point out that this is when John Jamison reappeared carrying his lost keg of whiskey that he dove in after during a violant storm at sea, almost missing his own funeral.

But if you look at 1728 and using our alphabet, you would easily see that 17 is Q, 2 is B, and 8 is H. Which forms HBQ. But if you take the old alphabet, you get QBR. Nobody of course has a clue what all this means, but a&E is trying to tie together the great bee mysteries into a special and connect it with the arrival of space travelers who by all accounts, gave us bees.

Beyond that, I'm clueless........  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 11:37:36 am »
"Jamison",   that explains a lot.    Very cute.     :-D

Offline WPG

• House Bee
  • The Land Between Two Rivers
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 08:51:06 pm »
' "Jamison",   that explains a lot.'

Must have been one of his ancestors.

But wouldn't it work nice to combine the Warre with a 'Western Deep' size Langstroth style frames, bottom board and management?
 Maybe 2-queen double stack with overlapping supers or if that still isn't stable enough do a 4-queen quad stack with the supers in the middle. Now that should pack in some varietal honey quick.
I'm going to have to get busy in the woodshop this winter.
Push, Pull or get Out of the Way

bigbearomaha

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 11:37:21 pm »
a 10 frame lang deep box is about 1.331 cubic feet

A warre box is about .667 cubic feet

a 5 frame lang nuc box is about .757 cubic feet

using 2, 5 frame lang nuc boxes with warre style quilt and floor with warre style management is where  I am moving personally.

Offline Buz Green

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 11:42:27 am »
using 2, 5 frame lang nuc boxes with warre style quilt and floor with warre style management is where  I am moving personally.

Hey big.
That sounds like a interesting strategy, are you going use frames and foundation or just top bars?
I know you think you understand what you thought I said I meant but what you heard is not what I said.

www.greenbeecompany.com

bigbearomaha

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 01:28:54 pm »
frames.  these hives are for business and will bee transported.   I feel more comfortable using frames with hives  intend to move around to hopefully prevent comb damage.