Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cost of a cardboard nuc with bees?  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Cost of a cardboard nuc with bees?
« on: June 27, 2008, 07:41:41 pm »
Ok, so what should a guy expect to pay for one of those cardboard nucs. With two frames of brood, one frame of honey and two empty frames all drawn out? Those 3 frames being covered with bees of course. Then with a new queen? Or without a queen?? What do you guys think.
Frantz
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Cost of a cardboard nuc with bees?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 08:17:10 pm »
Can't help you with the price, but I have never heard of a nuc coming without a mated and laying queen.  And usually the brood coming with the nuc is from the queen you are getting so you know she is productive.   Not sure what your up to with your questions.   You looking to throw those 2 frames from your observation hive into a carboard box and sell it as a nuc :?  Shame on you  :roll:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 08:25:40 pm »
 Do you get to keep the cardboard nuc?. That will come in handy for putting caught swarms in later.
 I suppose, 40 or 50 bux...Or less... Other than the bees and bee parts, the hive parts are pretty cheap and you can re-use them.
I guess, like anything else, it depends on how bad you want it...I bought a boat once for 200.00 at an auction. I originally told my wife i wouldnt go over 50.00...But this lady just kept over bidding me and I just knew I wasnt going to lose this battle..I just gave the boat away after about 5 years of having it and you know what?.....I NEVER even put it in the water! :-\
your friend,
john

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 08:46:21 pm »
Shame on me??? :evil:
I would never think of such a thing. :evil:
So I guess that is bad huh.
The reason that I want to know is that I lost so many hives here this winter that I wanted to get some nucs. I have not found anything in the area at all. I have had people who know that I have bees show interest in getting some from me, but I don't know how to put a nuc together as I have not seen one.
Then there is this guy who offers to sell me a cardboard nuc with a new queen or with out. Two frames of brood, one honey and then two drawn out frames. I ask how much and he says "I don't know what do you think?" So that is the reason for the question, but I have about 30 deeps full of drawn comb, and two strong hives. I would like to do something to provide bees for others as well as increase mine.
Sooooo... Still working on it.
Thanks for all the heads up.
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:09:57 pm »
I've seen these nucs going for 80 a month ago. Now that it's basically July, I'd say you're going to have to put more money into any nuc to feed it to build it up for winter, so $40-$50 sounds reasonable. Find out when the queen was mated...she'll not be slowing down if it was this week or later. Knock $10 off if he wants 5 frames in exchange.

You could always pull a couple frames of brood from your big hives...they probably wouldn't miss it, and the extra bees would give your nuc a big boost.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

anything