Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Third swarm in three days  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Third swarm in three days
« on: May 22, 2010, 08:09:47 pm »
Got a call while I was sleeping today of someone having a bee problem. A worker for the Parks Department called and said his dad has a "large" clump of bees clinging to the wall of the church. Problem is I dont have any extra hive bodies. I told hm I will try to get in contact of another beek to see if I can borrow a hive setup or even let him have them. Still no word from the otehr beek. Good thing is the guys dad was mowing, didint care and kept mowing, and does not want to kill them. I wish I had a lot more hive setups because everyone that works for the City knows I keep bees and will come and get them if I am able to. Here are a few pictures of the bees on the church. Oh yea, the other beek here has already picked up three swarms this week also.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Third swarm in three days
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 09:35:13 pm »
Ok. I put a make shift hive box together with a screened bottom board, deep hive body, wooden frames with old foundation (old but never used),a nd a outer lid cover. I did not have an inner lid and no full bottom board. Wind is about 30mph so I had to secure the ladder with a sand bag so I did not blow down. I put the hive box just under the swarm and started scraping them off. All was going good unntil they found I was not wearing socks  :shock:. Problem with being tall is the suit does not go all the way down to the ankles  :'(. Once I had them all, so I thought, I put teh hive body on the ground and was going to wait for the rest to just go in. No luck  :roll:. It looke like the grass was springing up bees everywhere and when I looked back at the original spot on the wall there were lots more. Took another look in the hive body and it was full of bees. I left the hive body there hoping the bees will find their way to the queen, if I got her. As many bees that kept going for my ankles I would have thought the queen was on my ankle or crawling up my leg. No stings today, yet, but I did have a lot of headbumping and stings on the gloves. I guess I need to to invest in a vac and a lot more hive bodies if Im going to keep doing this.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Third swarm in three days
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 10:09:41 pm »
Tomorrow being Sunday, my guess is you will find them all in church tomorrow.

I hope I am wrong.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything