Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Finland  (Read 1916 times)

Offline boguz

• New Bee
Hello from Finland
« on: July 01, 2011, 02:12:29 pm »
Hi...   introducing myself is always kind of awkward, so let's see what come this time...

I am a 30 year old men from Portugal, living in Finland.
In portugal i have studied Music Theory and worked for some time as a teacher, but then decided i wanted to stop for one year, go abroad, do some voluntary work, see different things, different people, different cultures.
Indeed i had a nice experience. I came as a volunteer to Finland where i have been working on a Camphill Community (a movement with communities with people with special needs - autism, down syndrome,...). In this community i worked mostly in our bio-dinamical farm and vegetable garden.
After this year in finland i continued traveling and lived/worked in bio-dynamical farms in Ireland and in south France.
they were all very nice places to be and to work but, in the end, i realized Finland had already gotten my heart, so i decided to come back and, since then, i am again in the same community as a co-worker.

Now to the bee passion...
Well, my parents kept bee in portugal when i was young boy (i think the most they had was 18 hives). At some point (maybe when i was 12/13) the bees were always sick and my parents didn't want to give them medicine or chemical stuff so, little by little, the bee hives were empty.  =(
I was quite young, but i think the passion for bees stayed somewhere inside me, waiting for the opportunity to come out!!
I am now already for a couple of years living and working in farms so the wish to keep bees are grown and grown. I have looked for someone to help me, to mentor me, but this has proven very hard.
Anyway, this year i decided with or without mentor it was time for me to get a bee hive.
And so it was, i made some phone calls, talked to some people and, finally, a friend found a little swarm for me!  =)

So, since 6 weeks, i am now a beekeeper-wanna-be!  =)

I have now 1 bee hive (i think it is a very very old landstroth with 9 frames). There is a Deep Body that on my last visit looked very well and growing fast, so i have added a Honey Super.
I don't think this year they will have time to make enough honey for us to HHHHHHmmmmmmmmmm  =), but well, that's not really the point!

I can't wait for my next visit to the hive!  =)

Well, i wanted to put a couple of pictures, but i got a warning say i don't have enough post to have the right to do it. hmmm, maybe later then...

Nice to be part of a beekeeping forum.  =)
See you all around!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello from Finland
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 05:58:40 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  It sounds like you are on a great start.    It is really hard for you to make honey off of first year bees.  That will come the second year.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 01:21:39 am »
Welcome from Finland!  If you ever have any problems with bees in Finland, this site has you covered.  His user name is Finski from Helsinki I believe.  He has a wealth of bee knowledge and can be a little humorous at times too.  Always a joy to hear from other parts of the world.

Offline boguz

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 03:11:57 pm »
thanks guys!
Nice to feel part of such big (and interesting) group of bee lovers!
=)

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 06:49:05 pm »
Welcome Boguz!
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

Offline shuesler

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 08:05:42 pm »
Welcome Boguz, from a fellow beekeeper in Europe (Switzerland). 

This is my second year and I started out with 2 swarms that I caught.  I now have 5 colonies. 

If you can take a course or find an experienced beekeeper that will help/you can work with  it would be GREAT help to you.  I have a friend that I helped/looked over his shoulder my first.  I learned sooooo much working with him. 

Joining a Beekeeprs Association will also help put you in touch with other beekeepers in your area. 

I hope that your new colony continues to grow and that you have fun with your new passion.  Enjoy.
Beekeeping since 2010, Chickens since 2005, Homeschooling since 2002, Guinea Pigs since 1996, Living in Swizterland since 1995,  Mother of 5 since 1990, Married since 1989

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 09:50:00 pm »
Hiya, and welcome. Someone already beat me to it....Finski is your local bee guy. He's pretty regular here on the forums.
"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:55:52 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline Bee Brothers Apiary

• New Bee
    • EveryThing Honey Bee, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 11:00:57 pm »
 :cheer: