Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HELP!! I upset the girls...  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
HELP!! I upset the girls...
« on: May 13, 2009, 01:40:03 pm »
I went out to check on the 2 week check on the swarm I got I am feeding them with a frame feeder and was rolling them when I was checking on them so I removed a frame and when I went to go check on them this time they had built almost a full little over a half a frames worth of brood comb!!!
It was really cool but verry un-needed. so I removed it and the bees got MAD!!! My wife and daughter got stung they were off on the sidelines unprotected.  Now we cant go outside there is a bee flying back and forth by the back door.  I dont know what to do...................
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
Re: HELP!! I upset the girls...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 01:57:49 pm »
Give them a little time and they'll settle down.  a little smoke may dispense them back to the hive if you've closed it back up, but giving them a little time and not disturbing them will probably be the best.

As a side note, it helps to make sure that onlookers have some protection, espceially if you're doing and significant hive/frame manipulation.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:18:41 pm »
I find that having a dog around helps when that happens; it's easier to take if the dog has bitten you in the past.
they'll calm down (I actually have experience making them angry) mine settled down after a while to the same gentle bunch as before.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:33:12 pm »
Yeah I REALLY did some rearranging when I took their comb and placed a new frame in its place I also moved over all the full frames over and put the empty frames close to the sugar water....I hope that was ok but its done now.  I found in the process that my wife took a great pic of the queen and her new brood!!!  The comb I took makes for a great souvenir.   :-D
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 02:55:47 pm »
Maybe I missed it but why did you take their brood comb?

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 03:27:26 pm »
Probably just a few guard bees with an attitude.  Stay away from them a few days and they will settle down.  We just had one of those - stung on the nose when I went out on the patio and then chased into the house the next day when I drove up in the driveway, on the other side of the house.  We had been in the hives a lot, with splitting and requeening. 

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 08:49:58 pm »
I am feeding them with a board feeder and when I was checking on them I would roll the bees and upset them so I figured that if I put only 8 frames in there............... I know I know.............. that it would help.  I had a quen excluder on there to get them used to it.  I took it off now.  Well they built comb where the 9th frame woulda been.  I had to take that and put a frame in its place.  So when I took it they got MAD.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 09:12:06 pm »
 thats there territory, I never mess in there much. let them have there way. Only if im gonna take a split.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.