Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Propolis  (Read 2721 times)

Offline limyw

• House Bee
Propolis
« on: October 18, 2006, 12:29:25 pm »
I am thinking to collect some propolis from my hives for own consumption. How should I do and any simple way to process it that would allow me to consume safetly? My place here has nobody selling ready made equipments.
lyw

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Propolis
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 04:34:14 pm »
there's no special receipe for a general purpose solution. some persist on using home made liquers, which are around 40%, others say it's imposible to use 40% alcohol, that you have to use at least 70% one. the decision is up to you, while the receipe is nothing special. it's better if you frize the propolis and grind it fine. this way more will disolve. after you grinded it, don't let it back on room temp or more as it will stick right back together, try to do it in a cool room or outside. well all you have to do now is put aroung 20% propolis into alcohol, meaning 200grams of propolis per 8 dcl of alcohol you have. just let it in a dark room for at least fortnight. that's it, remove what's left in-wax and other parts and voila! you might wanna leave it longer than 14 days, at least i do.

as for other receipes, i would to be grateful if someone posted something about making pattes and other stuff

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Propolis
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 09:34:00 pm »
If you use a screen wire trap or buy one of the plastic ones, you can get very clean propolis.  You just roll the trap up and put it in the freezer and unwrap it to release the propolis.  You can grind it in a coffee grinder or a blender while it's still frozen (I'd dedicate a used one for this purpose) and put it into capsles.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Propolis
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 09:41:14 pm »
My friend ask me propolis and he want to use it to handle wooden surfaces.

Srabing propolis from frames was lowsy work even if I clean the choulders of frames.

I have read that professionally some collect propolis so that they put tight eye cloat or nylon screen into hive. Bees fill the uneven surfarce with propolis. Then the cloath into freezener and you may twist the cloath and propolis goes into small pieces.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
Propolis
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 11:09:08 pm »
If you do tinctures you would want to use a Strong alchohol for fast results, or if its a lower percentage alchohol it would take longer.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline limyw

• House Bee
Propolis
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 12:50:13 pm »
Quote from: Michael Bush
You can grind it in a coffee grinder or a blender while it's still frozen (I'd dedicate a used one for this purpose) and put it into capsles.

This means propolis can be consumed directly without resolve into alchohol? What I know in the market most of them are only 8-10% in concentration. If no other mixture (means 100%), how much can we take per day?
lyw

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
Propolis
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 01:26:30 pm »
A fairly good on line reference is the UN FAO publication ‘Value Added Products from Beekeeping’.  It might be worth your time to read what it has to say.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e00.htm

This will take you directly to the paragraph on extracting methods:

http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e14.htm#5.7

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
Propolis
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 01:48:51 pm »
From what ive read it sounds like Proplis could be used as a topical substance to help fight acne, much like honey?
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Propolis
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 03:56:12 pm »
Quote from: limyw

This means propolis can be consumed directly without resolve into alchohol? What I know in the market most of them are only 8-10% in concentration. If no other mixture (means 100%), how much can we take per day?

DO NOT try to chew it, i tried it and had it stick to my teeth for at least a week, nasty thing, doesn't look good on you :lol:

besides that, i wouldn't know how much you can take per day, i just know it's meant to be used in little ammounts, that's why they sell it in 5ml flasks.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Propolis
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 01:26:45 pm »
>This means propolis can be consumed directly without resolve into alchohol?

Yes.  You can buy it in capsules at the health food stores already.

> What I know in the market most of them are only 8-10% in concentration. If no other mixture (means 100%), how much can we take per day?

I don't see any reason there would be a limit on how much youc ould take.  There's nothing harmful in it.  But all things should be done in moderation.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything