Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Tree  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Bee Tree
« on: August 07, 2008, 05:16:38 pm »
I was given a section of a tree that was cut down, containing a hive. The bees did not abscond, and I have propped up the log section and it is fairly stable. It's about 6 feet tall, and the hive goes through most of that length. The top is open, due to the way the tree guys cut the log.

I would like to keep these bees, but I'm figuring that splitting the log and removing them will severely diminish their chances of reestablishing in time for winter. However, the open top presents a bit of a problem. Before moving the log, I stapled aluminum screening to cover and seal the hole. Since then, I've added a plastic bag to keep out the rain, and weighed it down with a rock.

I'm thinking about taking a piece of plywood, cutting it down to the size of a super, cutting a hole the size of the hive space at the top of the log, and then adding a box on top of that, with an inner cover and an outer cover. Then I can feed them, and they can store what they need for the winter. Then, in the spring, I can split the log and move them into a home that's better for me.

How does that sound?
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: Bee Tree
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 06:40:39 pm »
like a lot of work :-D

No seriously it sounds to me like you have a good plan and it sounds to me at least like it should work

Keith

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 08:48:05 pm »
that sounds like it will work. how about an entrance into the hive body from the outside?

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 10:08:47 pm »
that sounds like it will work. how about an entrance into the hive body from the outside?

There's a pretty big hole at the base of the log, I don't think they need another entrance. They'll have so much insulation with the log (2-3" thick) that I don't think condensation will be a problem until they move into the super. It's not perfectly level, so any condensation on the cover will run down the side.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 09:32:31 am »
I think if you hive them now and just feed them until it's not warm enough to feed, you will be fine.  Just make sure you have a queen.  If you can assist them with built combs, even better.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 11:36:04 am »
Moonshae- at the next state meeting on 8/23 there is a bee tree w/ a bottom board at the host's home.  He has had it for a number of years and it basically sits on top of a bottom board as you describe. Its at Bob huighes house, call or email him w/ any questions.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".