Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Did your bee clubs package order get cut back this year ?  (Read 9067 times)

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
Did your bee clubs package order get cut back this year ?
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:06:32 pm »
 Guess the South is having bad weather this year and a few of the suppliers are caught between a rock and a hard place. I know it goes with the territory because this seems to happen every year in recent history. Has anyone else here experienced a late or partial order from their bee clubs supplier this year. I'm not mad, just curious. TIA
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
Re: Did your bee clubs package order get cut back this year ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:44:12 pm »
Yes sir our order got pushed back just about a month.  Thats just it what you gonna do bad weather no bees just part of the hobby.  Chris

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:38:30 pm »
Pm me if ya'll need... although we prefer you find local suppliers for your bees, we do take shipments north. I know other suppliers here that have a glut.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

salvo

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:03:25 pm »
Hi Folks,

Southeast Massachusetts here. Our packages also got pushed back. Nucs came in last Saturday, only 7 days after expected, all healthy and happy, but "end of May" for packages.

Man Plans! God Laughs!

I'm gonna go capture me a swarm! :-D

Salvo

Offline Jim Hughes

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 11:57:11 pm »
The local feller I get mine from got his entire order pushed back a week.  700 packages.

NW Washington.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:06:11 am »
Our club sent a team of 3 to pick up the packages. They arrived at 8:00 AM. After working in the bee yard helping shake packages until 6:00 PM, they got their full order. They were the only ones who didn't get shorted that day, but they earned it.

PS. They also enjoyed the day of learning in a commercial yard.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 06:17:04 am »
The local feller I get mine from got his entire order pushed back a week.  700 packages.

NW Washington.
A week or two delay seems to happen every year. Looks like ours is going to be five weeks later than originally planned.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 06:53:04 am »
The local beekeeper I know  got his entire order 1 week early (for 2011) 300 packages.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 07:37:02 am »
So who are those on time, a week late, and those who are a month behind?

I ordered mine from Hardemans on December 1, 2010 42 minutes after they started taking orders. They asked me what week I wanted bees. I passed on earlier dates in March and scheduled for 9 April. At this time, I am looking at 7 May, as a "we might have bees on this date" and if they do, they already stated they will cut my order in half, with the other half being ready at some future time after that.

It would not be that bad except the guy down the street, who already had his entire order filled last week by "H&R" or "H&L" (some letters like that) was allowed to add to his order with an unscheduled pickup due to extras, and is making another run tomorrow. Meanwhile Hardemans has gone to a "We don't schedule anymore....we just have a big list and fill them as we can" type setup. I sold based on marketing Hardemans, had a tentative date (I know there are always delays), and now can not even tell my customers when to expect the bees as Hardemans refuses to actually schedule a date, even though for several weeks now it's been "Maybe next week" which just seems to be pushed further and further back.

Hard to believe one supplier is on time and some have extra packages, while the guy down the road has a 5 week delay. I'm not convinced that "weather" is the main culprit. Overbooking, management, and playing favorites to long standing customers probably has something to do with it.

I'll be filling some of my earlier nuc orders well ahead of the time we may get our packages from Georgia. And we have had crappy weather as well.  :roll:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:28 am »
My queens are coming May 3rd.   Crap!!!!  Its still winter here.   We got a inch of snow last night

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 08:43:08 am »

NW Washington.

how can you afford that many packeges lol, that like 50 grand

mine was two weeks late and then got lost by ups
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 09:31:54 am »
ours are one week delayed,  THANKFULLY!!!!  They were supposed to be here today but are pushed to next thursday.  rest of the week forcast is basically lows in the 30's highs low mid 40's and rain.  Starting monday it looks like highs in teh 60's and low's in the 40's with some sun.  MAYBe just MAYBE spring will finally come to Michigan!  Had 3 inches of snow monday morning.

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 10:14:07 am »
Our Beekeepers Association combines our orders and our supplier who orders then from Olvirares in Northern California is shipping approximately two weeks late. They had cold rainy weather. What I've read says they are gaining on their original schedule. They can't control the weather any more than I could stop the two inches of snow we got last night.
It's just part of the fun of Beekeeping right?
Tim

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 12:34:55 pm »

Man Plans! God Laughs!

I'm gonna go capture me a swarm! :-D

Salvo

Your swarms just got pushed back by 2-3 weeks too  :-P.
Rick

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 03:00:11 pm »
Eastern WA (Packages from Northern CA) - they threatened delays, but we got ours last weekend (4/16) and were forced to install in lousy weather (lots of stings), then it rained and snowed for a few days and is in the 30's and 40's.  The bees really haven't been able to do much flying since installation, but hopefully Spring will arrive in the next few weeks  :?
-Mike

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 07:10:54 pm »

Hard to believe one supplier is on time and some have extra packages, while the guy down the road has a 5 week delay. I'm not convinced that "weather" is the main culprit. Overbooking, management, and playing favorites to long standing customers probably has something to do with it.
BB, I'm pretty sure your last sentence says it all.  This has happened to us in 5 of the 7 years we've been keeping bees.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 09:18:27 pm »
Hardemans just sells a ton of bees.   Everybody wants them and they are at a good price.   Wet spring or over selling, I do not know.   Winter losses or is someone out there offering up more money to buy "your" bees before they ship.   Who knows.   I do know most everybody is running late for some reason.   I would bet on over selling the orders.  But they are in business to make money.

Offline Yuleluder

• House Bee
    • Yule's Apiaries
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 09:25:33 pm »
The pain of people cancelling their package orders.... lol  Some folks just don't understand, lol.

Offline Michael Bach

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 09:27:05 pm »
Mine were on time.

I use two local guys who go down to Georgia.  The first shipment of 3 lb russian and 4 lb italians came in April 9th from Hardeman.

The second shipment of 4 lb italians arrives this saturday, April 23rd.

These guys bring back about 350-400 packages per trip.  They pay a year in advance.

They always use Hardeman or Rossman's

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 09:34:30 pm »
The good ol boy system.   It's all who you know.