Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Nephew & retrieval of his arrow from the apiary  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
My Nephew & retrieval of his arrow from the apiary
« on: October 29, 2008, 11:34:21 am »
Oh, the other day I laughed my guts out.  I was working in the big garden on the west side of the apiary, readying it for the next year's bee flowers.  I was digging, hucking rocks into my wheelbarrow to tote to the rockpile and I was pretty much engrossed in what I was doing.  It was a sunny day, the sun was warm while I worked and the kids were outside playing.  I was pretty much faced with head towards the ground, looking up now and then at the bees, they were having a good day too.  I saw my Nephew doing something weird (well, in my eyes, it looked weird) around the fence of the apiary.  I paid no mind, knowing full well that the kids don't like to mess around with the bees.  Out of the corner of my eye, I could still see his body doing something.  I finally came to my senses, (the rocks kind of get to me, trying to see them all and grab them before the go back down into the earth, they are sneaky things!!!) and looked up really hard to see what he was doing.

He had these long, long sticks and he was poking them through the fence.  Oh rats, what on earth was this kid up to?  Was he gonna push over one of the colonies, my mind began to go wild, thoughts in my mind, that ding dang kid.  This would have been totally out of character, they are nice boys, all of them, narry a piece of mean in their minds, bodies and souls.  So, I thought I had best go over and see what he was doing.

He was so deeply entrenched in what he was doing, he paid no mind to me either.  I went up the hill and watched what he was doing, with extreme interest.  He was up to something pretty ding dang cool and he had let his imagination go wild....with what he had designed.  I asked him what he was trying to do.  He said that his arrow had shot over into the beeyard and he was trying to get it.  Oh my poor Nephew.  He worked so hard to make these contraptions to go through the fence, not daring to enter the world of the bees.  I looked at him and smiled.  I told him I would go and get his arrow for him.  I opened the gate and went into the beeyard, all along telling him that if he ever needed to go it, just open the fence and go in.  I told him that there was a 99% chance that he would not be stung by the bees.  These bees of mine have never had aggressive traits, not once during my tenure with them (well, except for that swarm that I caught my first year of keeping bees, but they are gone anyways, they swarmed that next year and I said good ridence.  Now, where was I?  Right.....I retrieved his arrow and again reassured him that he could go in the apiary anytime that he chose.

He had spent a long time getting these long extensions of his arms made, so he could grap his arrow.  He must have gone to the bush, cut down some long branches, tied some socks around them at the end to act has hands, to assist him with this very serious job of getting back his arrow that had flown to the bees.  Oh these young men make me laugh, they make my day, and I am lovin' every minute of it.  They are innovators, they are the master of making things that make things work for them, and I take my hat off to them.

Have a most wonderful and awesome day, love life.  Cindi

This is my Nephew, showing me the wonderful, wonderful invention he had created, with his own mind.

This is what the apiary looks like, this is the immortal fence that my young Nephew put his hand extensions through, to safely retrieve that arrow for his bow.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: My Nephew & retrieval of his arrow from the apiary
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:26:49 pm »
Yeah, they sure get creative, don't they??!!! 8-)  That was a good idea and try.  In a few years he will just send in the robot he made, right? ;)

Reminds me of when I first got a hive in the back yard.  The silly boys(6 and 7 then) got stung trying to get a dart out of the entrance of the hive that they had shot in there.  Just gotta try it!!

Rick
Rick

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 05:07:53 pm »
Hey Cindi!
 Tell 'im I said he oughta use the arrow catchers for torches now! I bet he'll like that idea!

your friend,
john

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 06:57:42 pm »
You gotta love em!  One of the things I love the most is watching kids figure out how to do something!  Their imaginations are the most wonderful things & to see the steps they take to accomplish something is amazing!  Even when they are doing something they aren't supposed to, you can admire (quietly to yourself) the thinkng & problem solving skills. Amanda & the daycare kids still got in trouble for breaking the rules but more times than not I had to quickly turn away so they wouldn't see me laughing! Good he has a respect for the bees (& you)he is a handsome kid! We dont' have any boys in the family, only nieces, all mostly grown, 22 & 17. Off to poke cows, wonder what I can get away with today??   :roll: J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:24:53 am »
Jody, tell me how your cow-pokin' went, I wanna hear more!!!  Have a great and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service