Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sub-freezing Temps  (Read 5722 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Sub-freezing Temps
« on: January 14, 2007, 12:40:08 pm »
For how many day can bee survive temps below freezing?  we are into our 3rd day.  it was 17 when i got up.  i do believe that it was above freezing in the hive for a short time yesterday.  even though it only got into the 20's, my hoses that sat in the sun thawed enough to run.  i'm guessing that inside the hive it warmed up some too.

in anticipation of the cold snap, i wrapped the hive in cardboard. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Re: Sub-freezing Temps
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 12:46:22 pm »
I don't know from personal experience but, I'd guess if they can survive perenially as far north as alaska, it must be a while.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 12:51:12 pm »

We get permanent snow at the beginning of September and snow is away at the beginning of April. Temp is under freezing point about 4 months.
It is a third part of year.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 09:06:19 pm »
We hA :)D 3 AND 4 DEGREES LAST WEEK. tHE BEES WILL GO INTO CLUSTER AND STAY WARM. nO WORRIES AS LONG AS THEY HAVE STORES AND ARE HEALTHY

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 08:09:04 am »
>For how many day can bee survive temps below freezing?

I've had bees in Western Nebraska during a winter where it didn't get above -10 F for a month.  It dipped to -43 F some nights.  The bees did fine.  I don't know how long it was below freezing (+32 F) that winter, but I'd guess about four months.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 10:29:00 am »
Bees are natural creatures they have been surviveing long time they will be ok
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 09:11:15 pm »
It will be -5 F here tonight.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 11:31:21 pm »
It will be -5 F here tonight.

That is really much. We have just now  41F (+5C) on this 60 latitude. It is 5:30 morning here.
Almost whole Europe is without snow. Canada is totally white.

Satellite pictures
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/SNOW/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 06:53:20 am »
The weatherman was wrong, the thermometer says -12 at my house this morning...
-------------------

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 10:47:13 am »
What wierd weather I think it is a bad sign
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 10:58:02 am »
we warmed up to 24 and snow.  that's ok.  usually after a really cold snap, we warm up to freezing rain!  snow is much better.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline michelleb

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 08:28:48 pm »
Kathy,

What a crazy day today! We got a few inches of snow here in P-town. My bees are up in north Columbia County--I can't even get to them, even if the main highways were clear. But overall, our winters are tropical as compared to some and I'm sure they'll be fine. Even knowing that, I'll be biting my nails until I can check on them next.  ;)
Pocket Meadow Farm

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 09:22:38 pm »
i had to remember to go clear the snow from the entrance.  i put a board at a slant in front to keep it from clogging up again.  it's snowing here again, but at least that's all we got.  no ice!!  hope for better weather :-)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 09:33:39 pm »
We have a 20 degree north wind here tonight but it is dry for a change. It seems likeit's been raining every other day. We are finaaly supposed to be nearerr the norm on temps for a while but I am already looking for the warmth of spring.
Fruit orchards are a little concerned around here because of early bud swells,but as long as it gets cold before heading for blossom things should be alright.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 09:56:09 pm »
Yeah Its cold in L A still also
kirk-o

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 10:02:52 pm »
The weatherman was wrong, the thermometer says -12 at my house this morning...

Not to many times is the weatherman right.  That's the only job that you can be bad at what you do and still have a job. :evil:

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 08:55:09 am »
winter finally arrived in New England. Last weekend 50 degrees, today, 5 degrees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 09:54:06 am »
Finsky, nice satellite site.  I added it to my favourites (lol), nice to see the world.

We are at +1 celsuis (33 F) today, 6:00 A.M.

We have had very strange weather too.  Still living in about 12 inches of snow.  It was supposed to snow another 12 inches yesterday, but it never came around.  Only now because of the warmth the snow is melting like crazy.  If the temperature stays above 0 for a few more days, the snow will be all gone, it melts quickly, but then we have to contend with very wet land, and mud!!  Eeeks, that is the worst, the mud.

I see some buds coming on a few of the early leafed trees.  That is an OK sign for this time of year.  We are not experiencing some bad things like with the crop growers I am hearing over the forum.  I wish you all well.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 10:36:28 am »
Its cold here also bad on the fruit trees
kirk-o

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 07:07:52 pm »
Everything is relative.  Cold in LA is mild in Seattle or Vancouver B.C.  I've had people move up here into Washington from Southern California--thought they were having a heart attack the first time they saw snowfall.
Try Flying from Hokkaido, Japan (-36 F) to Bangkok, Thailand (+102 in the shade) in January in one day.  I had a case of heat stroke that lasted for a month--got a good case of mono from it and never kissed a girl.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!