Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extractors, More Bang for the Buck  (Read 21330 times)

Offline PerryBee

• New Bee
Re: Extractors, More Bang for the Buck
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 10:47:40 am »
Hey John, I have another "good deal " story. Just started into keeping and I called a supply store that was selling out their keeping stuff and going only strictly candle workshops ( BC Wicks and Wax, Cindi ) I asked if they had any extractors left and the guy said sorry, all gone. Then he says hold on, they have a two frame Maxant that they rent out and he was tired of having to chase it down all the time. He says come on down and he'll give me a deal. This extractor was in excellant shape, a little dirty but not too bad. I asked how much and he says take it away for 25 bucks!!! Best deal I ever got in this field for sure! :-D Perry

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 10:55:29 am »
PerryBee, wrote down BC Wicks and Wax.  Thanks.

Brendhan, I have bookmarked Voice of the Hive and will check it out.

xC0000005.  That is cool that Brendhan figured out who you are, not sure how he did that, but I am of a sleuthy type nature sometimes, so I am getting in that mode.  Maybe I missed something here. 

So, yes, checked out your profile, saw your website in their, guess I will have to do some reading when I have a few extra moments (hee, hee), I love stories of the bees too, especially is they are well written, sounds like you have a good handle on this, smiling.  Have a wonderful and greatest of days, lovin' this life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 11:00:36 am »
Oh great information, really...I am not able personally to build my own, if my Dad were alive he surely would build one, perhaps I can encourage my hubby to give it a go....

Shar

Offline xC0000005

• New Bee
    • Voice of the Hive - Beekeeping and Honeybees
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 01:10:25 pm »
Next to fatbeeman we have a real celebrity in our midst.

Thanks.  I think.  I never know how to respond to these sort of things - "Yes, I am great" is pretentious and flat out wrong, "I am a worm" is too far the other way.  Let's try this - I'm a beekeeper just like the rest of you (Heck, I still get the creeps when they crawl on my fingers).  I just happen to enjoy writing about bees.  You want celebrities go for the real guys. Mr. Bush, fatbeeman (Don).  You don't find articles about me in Bee Culture.  For that matter nothing I've written has ever graced its pages.  Keep in mind that most of these were originally stories I told to my children to explain what was going on in the hive.  There are factual errors, I'm sure.  Sometimes I get things flat out wrong.  The "how to" sections at the end aren't really.  They are like the reader's digest "how to" books - just enough information for a reader to feel informed, but not enough to really get the job done.  Just read for enjoyment and everything will be fine.

Cindi - No problem with being "outed".  My whois information has never been obscured (and I"ve been called at home by strangers, including a man from the east coast who called at 4:00 a.m.)

In regards to the extractor, it's a fine line between link whoring ("Hey, everyone!  Look what I did!  Look! Look! Look!") and providing valuable information.  The goal is to just make sure people know they have options.  You can build this one. I've built a variant of the plywood one from beesource.  You can buy.  No one solution is perfect for everyone.  As with most things in beekeeping, there are a dozen ways that work, and half as many that are "right".  Whatever works for you.

"Tell me again why you want to put a box with thousands of angry, stinging insects in our backyard?" - my wife.

http://www.voiceofthehive.com

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 01:38:11 pm »
 xC0000005

Bee Movie wasn't very accurate either but if people found it inspiring. I am all for it.

Michael Bush was on this site long before I was. I have in a tongue in check manner labeled him "patron saint." I am sure he would prefer something else. :)

BC and ABJ don't publish a lot on MB or Don. A small article here and there maybe. But they tend not to do the justice that the two of them have contributed to beekeeping. So don't worry. I think the editors at the mags would have a heart attack if someone wrote an in depth article on Dee L. or MB or Don and their methods. I think it would crush their paradigm.

In regards to your extractor what kind of handle did you make to spin the extractor?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline xC0000005

• New Bee
    • Voice of the Hive - Beekeeping and Honeybees
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 01:57:06 pm »
xC0000005

In regards to your extractor what kind of handle did you make to spin the extractor?

Handle?  Handles are for hand cranking. :)

Since I can post links at this point, let's try this:
Video of Extractor running

Note this was before i added flashing to hold the top bearing, so it looks slightly different now.  For next year I'll run a variable speed motor, shaft drive up the side from underneath the extractor (so it won't be top heavy).  Since I need to add legs anyway, space for the motor won't be an issue.
"Tell me again why you want to put a box with thousands of angry, stinging insects in our backyard?" - my wife.

http://www.voiceofthehive.com

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 02:09:56 pm »
A drill is an excellent handle. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline WLF1961

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2008, 08:14:55 pm »
Has anyone tried the 9 frame extractor from brushy mountain that has the strainer and tank on the bottom? Was thinking of getting one but thought I would ask before buying. thanks, Wayne

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008, 08:24:58 pm »
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bfs/555642068.html       offer the guy four hundred -its a six -twelve from dadant                  https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35_72&products_id=364      should fill the bill  8-)  RDY-B
             DID YOU CALL THE GUY  :?  this spring they will be hard to get at the good price

Offline WLF1961

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2008, 08:33:17 pm »
Yea I called middle of the week and said they should be in by end of Feb. They didn't say anything about a new price but looked at the website today and noticed the extractor went up $30 and an extra tank to go with it went up about $65.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2008, 08:40:13 pm »
 :-D
Yea I called middle of the week and said they should be in by end of Feb. They didn't say anything about a new price but looked at the website today and noticed the extractor went up $30 and an extra tank to go with it went up about $65.
  :?    I was refering to my quote for a used one reread the highlighted portion of my post  8-) origanaly posted for the person that started the topic  8-) :lol: DAY VALLEY        :) RDY-B

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2008, 09:44:19 pm »
Heya RDY

$400.00  hhhhmmm well...he won't hit me if I offer $400.  ???

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2008, 10:06:39 pm »
I spoke with him about a sixtey frame unit and one moth ago he would sell it for 400 -work up from that tell him the truth that you only have limited money to spend -for all we know it is already gone -RDY-B

Offline BGhoney

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2008, 11:52:15 pm »
I Drove way down and bought, RDY-Bs  Dadant 20 frame extractor.  Better Bang than some because it will hold 20 frames of big or med frames, or 36 frames of shallow. I don't extract deep frames now, but I may in the future.. 8-)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 12:05:27 am »
Howdy BG 50 frame maxant is all ordered and they are building it- I did not get shuch a easy on the wallet price as pepole buying twenty framers but i am exited -hope you have lots of honey to spin this year  :lol: 8-) RDY-B