Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Verifying Dimensions  (Read 3995 times)

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
Verifying Dimensions
« on: January 30, 2008, 01:13:29 pm »
I've decided to build some TTBH that will take medium frames so I can do nucs. I know a medium frame is 6 1/4 and that the bottom should be 6 5/8. Is the measurement of the frame (6 1/4) from the top of the frame to the bottom or from where the frame hangs? How far from where the frame hangs to the bottom of the floor should my hive be?

How long (stretching across the hive) is a medium frame?

Thanks.
--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Verifying Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 02:35:32 pm »
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:02:17 pm »
>I've decided to build some TTBH that will take medium frames so I can do nucs. I know a medium frame is 6 1/4

From top to bottom.

> and that the bottom should be 6 5/8.

I don't understand what you mean.  The box is 6 5/8" deep.  The bottom is a whole other piece of equipment and the depth of the box is irrelevant to the dimensions of the bottom.

> Is the measurement of the frame (6 1/4) from the top of the frame to the bottom

Yes.

> or from where the frame hangs?

No.

> How far from where the frame hangs to the bottom of the floor should my hive be?

The box should be 6 5/8" deep.  The frame should be 6 1/4" deep.  The bottom should be 3/4" deep.  So from the top of the box to the bottom of the bottom board that's 7 3/8".  If you're making a long hive, then make it out of a one by eight and leave it full depth.  If you're making a long hive where the space between boxes isn't an issue, I'd make the frame rest rabbet 3/4" deep and 3/8" wide.

>How long (stretching across the hive) is a medium frame?

The frame is 19".  The box is 19 7/8" outside.  the rabbet is 3/8" on each end.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:46:10 pm »
I guess my point is that the frame sits on a shelf in the box not on top of the side like a top bar. I didn't know if I should take the shelf into account or not for TTBH.

I didn't mean a bottom board. I was in a hurry. I meant depth from top to bottom. Ok. 7 3/8" from top to bottom. If I want 3/4" at the bottom and the frame is 6 1/4 why isn't it 7" from top to bottom? I know I'm probably driving you guys crazy but since I've never built one I really have a hard time picturing what you are saying.

Do I want to cut a rabbet for a tbh?
--------------

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 10:09:31 pm »
is what you're building just a really long hive?

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 10:52:52 pm »
It's a Tanzanian top bar hive but I want to build it so it could take medium sized frames so I can install a nuc or switch out frames with medium supers if need be.

I don't have any hives right now and have nothing to compare with to make sure I'm doing it right. Trying to figure out the right dimensions.
--------------

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 08:35:18 am »
I would build it out of one by eights. I'd cut the rabbet 3/4" deep by 3/8" wide.  This gives you 3/8" beespace above the top bars with a flat cover.  I would not rip the one by eight, just leave it 7 1/2" or 7 1/4" or whatever it is.  It's close enough to perfect to do fine.  A flat board or screen will do for the bottom but with screen I always add a tray to block some of the breeze blowing in.  Cut the ends 19 7/8" long and screw them into the sides with the rabbets (glue will help as well).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 09:35:32 am »
Thanks Michael. That makes sense. I appreciate all your help (and everyone else's as well).

What I plan to do is put a screen just a little above the bottom. I'll then cut a hole in the back where I can slide in something to catch mites and help clean up with. I can then block this hole in the winter. That will give me a screened bottom board that I can work from the back (out of the bees way) and should allow me better mite control.
--------------

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 08:43:07 pm »
>What I plan to do is put a screen just a little above the bottom.

I you are going to do that you'll need something wider than a one by eight.  A one by eight with the bottom directly on it is just right.  Less will not be.  You may need a one by ten.
-------------------

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 09:53:05 pm »
Yep. I looked today and the 1x8 I saw was 7 1/4" so I'll figure out a way to keep that dimension. Thanks!
--------------

anything