Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cut out  (Read 2098 times)

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
Cut out
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:06:25 am »

Here is a cut out I did two weeks ago that finally convinced me to buy robos beevac some of the comb was 4 inches thick and had so many bees it was crazy

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Cut out
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 11:49:51 am »
Wow, looks like they had been there for quite some time.  Some nice feral genetics.   Best of luck.

Rob....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 12:07:10 pm »
Some dark old brood comb in there. The Robo vac will cut your time spent in half.
Great for vacuuming swarms up fast too.

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:30:23 pm »
The owner said he knew for sure they had been there 5 years the top half was nearly solid except for a few tunnels in it.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 12:33:28 pm »
Great pics. Awesome opportunity for you. I do have a question for you experienced "cut-outers." I notice in the close up pics that there is some old broken and abandoned comb in the lower left. On the other side of the stud from the colony. I saw that in a cutout this year too. Is that evidence of a previous colony that failed? In my case, there were a few more pieces of really old comb, and residue on the inside wall showing where a colony used to be. Then on the other side of the stud, was a large colony like the one shown. I'm thinking the parent colony failed at some point in the past, but a swarm took up in the next section of wall, perhaps from the original.

What do you guys think? Is that what we see in this pic????

Oh, now I see that above the old comb, you have some newer comb. Were they using that side too? Did you cut up that side and find more?

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 12:57:06 pm »
In this case I think you are right but in this case I ended up cutting the rest of that put and they had filled most of what is covered in the pics . It did seem there had been a previous colony there before though

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 12:20:56 pm »
I've never done a cut out before. If I ran across something like that it'd probably scare me off   :shock:

Awesome!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 06:53:24 pm »
"On the other side of the stud from the colony. I saw that in a cutout this year too. Is that evidence of a previous colony that failed? In my case, there were a few more pieces of really old comb, and residue on the inside wall showing where a colony used to be. Then on the other side of the stud, was a large colony like the one shown. I'm thinking the parent colony failed at some point in the past, but a swarm took up in the next section of wall, perhaps from the original.

What do you guys think? Is that what we see in this pic?Huh"

==============================================

Most likely, they started to expand into that area, but gave it up because of a too-narrow opening, or lack of ventilation.  Or started during a heavy flow which came to an end and it was abandoned.

Just my $ 0.02, for what its worth..........

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 09:38:40 pm »
"On the other side of the stud from the colony. I saw that in a cutout this year too. Is that evidence of a previous colony that failed? In my case, there were a few more pieces of really old comb, and residue on the inside wall showing where a colony used to be. Then on the other side of the stud, was a large colony like the one shown. I'm thinking the parent colony failed at some point in the past, but a swarm took up in the next section of wall, perhaps from the original.

What do you guys think? Is that what we see in this pic?Huh"

==============================================

Most likely, they started to expand into that area, but gave it up because of a too-narrow opening, or lack of ventilation.  Or started during a heavy flow which came to an end and it was abandoned.

Just my $ 0.02, for what its worth..........

Comb gets old and unusable even in feral hives.   We don't see it a lot because it seems ferals don't survive for long periods of time in one spot.  Here the oldest one I have ever found and you can see how the colony moved and abandoned comb over time.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,9430.0.html
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 09:40:37 am »
It appeared to be overflow and most of the comb was new on that side.there was only a couple old ones. It looked like they only used that side as overflow.