Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1st Swarm!  (Read 3398 times)

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
1st Swarm!
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:18:07 am »
Out of the blue, there it was!!!
Went to the hospital to check on my father who had a mild heart attack Saturday. He is one of our partners in this venture. Just as I entered the room my wife called. All excited, "I got one" she said. "One what" I asked? A swarm had landed on our grill. She just walked into the garage, grabbed a nuc we had waiting, and it was all done in three minutes.
Been trying to get our name out to all the local sources to call us if they spot a swarm, and the first one we get is in our own back yard! :)

Offline lovelyembalmer

• House Bee
Re: 1st Swarm!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:47:34 am »
Wish your dad well and congratulations on catching the swarm. as others will say free bees are the best. :) :)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:27:03 pm »
Lucky you! If you are using just foundation, they often will abscond. Use drawn comb or a queen excluder on the bottom if you can. I lost a few hanging swarms b/c i couldn't use an excluder and was out of drawn comb. I also like it if it rains after you hive a swarm, as it keeps them in a day or so and they have no choice but to accept their new home.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 01:21:08 pm »
Were they from your own hives?  If so then they ain't so free, but better than having them escape! :roll:

Wish your dad well, and make sure you bring up a hive to the hospital room so he has something to watch while convalescing! :-D
Rick

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 01:58:09 pm »
good for you.  i bet your wife was proud of herself! 

i have had good luck with my two swarms.  they were hungry and happy to stay.  one got drawn foundation and one got strips.  it will be interesting to see how they do.

next time tell your wife to grab the camera. you can post her catches and make her famous!  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 09:08:00 pm »
Were not from our hives.  These are bigger than our bees. :)