Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What do you use your farm for?  (Read 16865 times)

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
What do you use your farm for?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2005, 05:13:54 pm »
You sure are going to have a lot to enjoy and watch over this summer. :) It really sounds like you got a good start.

I'd still like to see a picture of one of your draft goats all hitched up. That sounds so cool.

You had mentioned "going the easy route" and getting ready to lay chickens from a friend. My husband had tried to talk me into doing something like that. A friend of mine has about 10 laying hens (Road Island Red/Crochin mix), and since I have an incubator, my husband thought it would be just fine to get some eggs from her and raise the babies that way. But for once, I wanted a fancy breed - all purebreds - and something I choose all by myself! :) Heck, if I really didn't care what I had, I'd have a yard full of free chickens - all different colors and sizes. But I have always wanted the Partridge Rocks - and believe me, it took a little bit of whining and begging to get my way. :) (Final answer from the hubby was - fine, waste your money if you want to.) But he's coming round. He realizes now that if I have purebreds I have a better chance selling surplus chickens each year at a higher price.

I'm rambling. :)

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2005, 11:44:27 pm »
I am busy, with these chickens they are all pure bred so that is good and at the price he is selling them to me I would be crazy, that is crazier than I already am, not to buy them. I would say we will have bought and used or sold 200 chickens this next summer, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2005, 02:53:51 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
well. .
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2005, 11:08:22 pm »
If you want to count my half acre as a farm. . ha ha ha

It's mostly a vegetable garden with a lawn.  My main thing is veggies.

Does anyone here want to trade seeds?

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
just trying
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2005, 11:13:27 pm »
Just trying to keep the house going and started enjoying the lifestyle that has come with it. Hopefully if it goes right I am hoping to expand and help provide work, But the Political hoops are murder LOL. I would also like to purchase Dairy cows cause new dairies opened ( http://www.dairybusiness.com/western/Nov00/texastown.htm ).  Then join http://www.heritagefoodsusa.com/who_we_are/index.html  :wink:

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2005, 08:27:41 am »
I was reading a farming book, I will go get the name of it, and it said that any land that raises animals or a type of produce, veggies, than it can be called a farm. bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2005, 09:09:24 am »
wow Thank God I that is cleared up I was so thinking I was in Highland Park or suburb of Bolca Raton LOL  :wink:

Offline burny

• New Bee
wutz up
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2005, 10:47:13 pm »
currently....pigs,bees,and maple trees.
                      God bless,
                                burny

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2005, 07:05:11 pm »
This spring I am planting 3/4 acre of western maples that can be tapped like eastern sugar maples. They grow faster than eastern maples, but have slightly lower sugar content.

In the spring I will include bees, goats (pygmys and nubians), and laying hens.

I eventually would like to dig a large pond and hopefully my next door neighbor will sell me the land behind me so I have stream-front property.

I also have a decent-sized vegetable garden already planted for the winter with multiplier onions, 2 varieties of shallots and 7 types of garlic (soft and hardneck).

In the spring I will also plant a new nut orchard with filberts, almonds, butternuts, chestnuts and probably also pecans. I'm sick of paying so much for all of them in  the store--plus the wildlife enjoy them.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2005, 12:37:21 am »
Make shure you order those nut trees early, they sell super fast :D
Ryan Horn

anything