Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: need help cleaning up a mess  (Read 2033 times)

Offline jefftck

• New Bee
need help cleaning up a mess
« on: July 16, 2005, 09:24:05 am »
I have one hive that my bees have made quite mess out of.
 First of all this is a colony, that was captured this spring and put into an old deep with older frames and foundations has a bottom board, Queen excluder,  medium super (with used frames and foundations), inner cover and telescoping cover that my brother bought and gave me. I’ve had it inspected by the state inspector and all is well. (As far as the bee’s health) no other comments where made,
I added another deep to give them room and because it was suggested.
The bees have a lot of honey stored against one side of the original deep with lots of burr comb and every time I try to inspect this end of the hive I have two frames stuck together with comb filled with honey (no brood cells in these two frames) what a mess!! They have started to draw out comb in the new deep and have some capped honey in the super.

Here’s my question, should I pull the two frames out and cut the caps off the combs of honey down to a shallower depth, put these two frames in the new deep and let the bees clean up the mess? or leave the frames with honey out side the hive so they rob it all out then put them back after they’ve cleaned them out?
My goal is to make it easier to inspect this hive without making such a mess by tearing up the comb and opening capped honey (this does seem to aggravate the bees)

Since this hive is new, I want to leave all the honey for the bees this winter.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
need help cleaning up a mess
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 02:38:55 pm »
If it's a real mess everytime, cut the comb down to size.  Brush the bees off of it first and either catch the honey or let it fall a ways from the hive so it doesn't bring ants and robbers.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything